One more try, carb specs for GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more try, carb specs for GS850

I just got an '80 GS850GL and have been through the carbs twice now with no results. Still leans out fiercely above 1/8 throttle, just flat dies. I saw a post in the archives with IDENTICAL symptoms, so I think the main jets have been swapped out for ones that are too small. What is the correct FACTORY main jet size for a bone stock '80 GS850GL?

GS850GLT (1980) main jet size = 115

Comment

I have an 80 GS850 also just ignoring it, it's a spare. I ride my 79GS850
      Everyone has problems with the BS carbs. FIRST thing to do is make sure that the petcock is working properly. It is mandatory to fix all air leaks on the intake side (good boots and new Orings) and the air box side of the carbs, and to have a completely stock functional air cleaner or it won't work right. If you have the foam filter element?? It needs to be oiled. Any engine modifications or deviation will require rejeting of the carbs.
      Did you completely dissemble the carbs, I'm talking about seperating them from the rack holder and replacing all of the O rings. You can not take any short cuts with them, or they will not work.

Comment

Thanks...

I appreciate the info, guys. I think I have an idea what the problem is. I was testing it without the airbox so I wouldn't have to pull all that crap back off to get at it in case things weren't quite right. I'll ry ti with the airbox and filet in place and see if that doesn't help. If that airbox is THAT restrictive, though. These engines must be WAY detuned.

Comment

Dyslexia sucks...

"I'll ry ti with the airbox and filet in place and see if that doesn't help."

Let me try that sentence again.... I'll *TRY IT* with the airbox and *FILTER* in place and see if that doesn't help.

Comment

FIXED!!!

Big thanks to you cats. The airbox was the solution! I have never seen anything THAT picky about the airbox. Runs GREAT NOW....Guess I got my $150 worth!!

Comment

Working...
            X