Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new tires?

Hi all, (82 GS650G)
    I just got my permit (written test passed) and I am fixing to get the bike legal for the rest. one thing I need for certain is a new back tire. it is bald as the asphalt. the front tire looks to be in good shape, plenty of tread, and no dry rot.
    now, here are my questions,

Should I go ahead and replace both tires at the same time.. the bike only has 18,000 miles on it and the front tire is probably 20 years old, but it was garage kept and there are no signs of wear on it.

also, how much am I looking at for a descent set of tires (each)and is it worth the trouble trying to save money and take the tire off myself and bringing it to the tire place?

One more thing, I have never shopped for bike tires, do common places like (discount tires, goodyear, etc) that carry cage tires.... also carry motorcycle tires??

Thnx in advance for the advise
    Sincerely
    Tom

You're going to get a very one sided set of answers to this question and they will all say YES, replace both tires. Motorcycle tires should be replaced every few years, regardless of tread depth. 20 is out of the question.

you won't find m/c tires at an auto shop but you may have luck at a local bike dealer though you'll pay less if you buy online. do a search of past topics to find people's favorite online tire shops

Youre probably looking at about 200, maybe a little less for a set of Dunlops, some others may be cheaper, but are of varying quality. It should save you about 50 bucks or so if you just bring the wheels in to the shop to put on the new tires, just make sure you know how to get them back on correctly...

Chris

Comment

If the front tire is 20 years old it will probably have as much give and flex as a brick so I'd change it.

Rubber hardens over time if it is not worked their is a possibility that it still may be good if the bike was ridden a intervals to work the rubber and keep it from hardening.

A few years ago I picked up a 1981 Honda CM-400 that had less than 3000 original miles. It had Dunlop Gold Seal tires on it TT-100s that I haven't seen since the late 70's. The tires were still good the previous owner was a college professor that left the bike on campus and used it as a campus commuter so it was ridden at least a few miles every week and the rubber was still good.

I rode it on the old rubber for a couple of hundred miles but put new tires on it when my son got his license. No since in taking any unnecessary chances with old tires.

Mike

Comment

Re: new tires?

Replace both tires. I wouldnt trust a 20 year old tire even if it had never been mounted. Being a new rider increases the probability that if a tire blows, youre going to be wearing asphalt. Its not worth the risk to save the few bucks. An hour in an emergency room will buy you all the tires you could ever need. :-) I've had good experiences with Dunlop, Metzler, Michlen, Avon, Continental and Bridgestone. Cheng Shin Hi-Max
        are also OK and cheaper than Dunlop or Metzler but my opinion is they dont have the grip of the more expensive tires. Not a problem if you dont ride particularly agressively. :-) I have found Dennis Kirk to have one of the best selections of tires online. Their prices are about average.
        For Cheng Shin tires, cyclerecycle I believe has the best prices.
        My preference is to Metzler or Dunlop, but they will set you back about $100 each. Cheng Shins are about 1/2 that cost.
        Generally, auto tire stores do not carry motorcycle tires. Also, motorcycle dealers usually have the highest prices for bike tires. Its worthwhile to remove the rims with tires from the bike and take just them to the dealer to have the tires installed. Also, (I believe) an 82650G will take a tube, so wherever you order your tires, order tubes also. Tubes come in in various weights/thicknesses. I usually order heavy duty tubes.

Earl

Originally posted by MAGICTOM
        Hi all, (82 GS650G)
        I just got my permit (written test passed) and I am fixing to get the bike legal for the rest. one thing I need for certain is a new back tire. it is bald as the asphalt. the front tire looks to be in good shape, plenty of tread, and no dry rot.
        now, here are my questions,

Should I go ahead and replace both tires at the same time.. the bike only has 18,000 miles on it and the front tire is probably 20 years old, but it was garage kept and there are no signs of wear on it.

also, how much am I looking at for a descent set of tires (each)and is it worth the trouble trying to save money and take the tire off myself and bringing it to the tire place?

One more thing, I have never shopped for bike tires, do common places like (discount tires, goodyear, etc) that carry cage tires.... also carry motorcycle tires??

Thnx in advance for the advise
        Sincerely
        Tom
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

interesting bunch of advice.. Im really surprised that my tires have tubes in them.. I am not planning on any agressive riding, nor am I planning on using this bike as a primary source of transportation, so no riding in the rain, or in busy traffic, just leisure rides on country roads. I will replace both tires when I have the money, and untill then, in the car-port it will sit.
          I cant think of any motorcycle dealers in my area except a BIG Harley place.. think they would give me a good price on tires?
          or do you think that since they have that big HD over their store that they will have a high mark-up? I will check them out..

someone mentioned "knowing how to put them back on correctly if I take them off myself" is it a difficult job? to be honest I have not even looked at what all needs to come off to remove the tires. my bike is shaft driven I hope this does not complicate things further.
          Anyway, Thank you all for the posts..
          I will let you know what I end up with
          Take it easy
          Tom

Comment

i'm also shopping for tires on an 82 GS650G but mine takes tubeless tires..your rim will tell you....

so whats the concensus on rim removal on shaft drive bikes....easy.hard ?

Comment

Metzler 330's and 550's (latest design and very popular) $70 front, $80 rear

I don't have the setup or knowhow to do it myself although I have read about how to do it. A fellow GSer offered to help me for free (nice guy) in mounting and balancing the tires as he has experience and I do not. I would go to the dealer unless you are lucky enough to get some experienced help/wisdom from an older cat.

Comment

DO NOT EVEN THINK OF DRIVING ON TWENTY-YEAR OLD TIRES.

Buy your new tires from Ron Ayers Auto Sports ......they have likely the best price you will find for the tire, and they charge only $8. for shipping in USA.

Dunlop or Metzeler are likely your best bet. Stay away from Cheng Shin. Same applies to ALL other cheap tires.

Tires are not made to a common standard.

Yes, there are mandatory specifications to be met, but these concern tread separation, and speed ratings/bead separation. After that, the ratings are largely manufacturer's discretion.

As a new rider, you are not in a position to judge the performance variables and characteristics between the different manufacturers, and you need to rely on the reputation of the manufacturer much, much, more than on price.

As a new rider, you want to KNOW the manufacturer has put in a lot of time and effort in ensuring you get the very best they can offer.

Since it is YOUR life riding on those tires, every time you get on the bike, their very best is the ONLY thing you should accept.

That does not mean their most expensive tires....those would be racing levels, and you do NOT need them.

You need the best tire available for the type of riding you will be doing.

The difference between a near-worthless tire and a premium tire is not that much.

You can get this from Metzeler or Dunlop by checking their on-line sites.

Stick with the major names for now. DO NOT buy anything cheap, merely because it is cheap, unless you first accept that your life is worth exactly how little you pay for your tires.

Remember, always,........your life depends on your tires. Everything else is secondary.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Once you get the bead broken the rest is easy. You just have to work your way around about 1/3 of the rim pushing the bead a little at a time going back forth using soapy water and tire irons. You can even balance them yourself if you really want to. This place has good prices and quick delivery, http://www.tireexpress.com/.

Comment

www.chaparralmotorsports.com has a variety of tires at low prices. I like Dunlops

Comment

Cheapest place I ever found on the net.

Michael 8)

Comment

Everyone has an opinion, and I've run Cheng Shin on my bikes(including a '82 Goldwing) for the past 10 yrs. along with Dunlop, Metzlers, Avons, Pirellis, IRC, Bridgestone and have had good experience with them all. While the more expensive tires may have better grip, I've never had a tire failure with Cheng Shin and feel perfectly safe. The last set I purchased were about $100 delivered. I mount and balance my own to save a few more $$$$$. BTW, I don't think the local HD dealer will give you a good deal on tires

Comment

so am i missing something

My manual says to get

100/90-19 - Front
                          110/90-17 - Rear

and i've checked all the websites listed above plus a couple of dealers and nobody can find me a metzler ME33/ME550 or dunlop 491 Elite II (the 2 tires i seem to see most) in these sizes...

are they listed under a different size description..?

MAGICTOM - if you see anything can you send me a link...if i see soemthing i'll do the same..

Thanks

Phil

Comment

One thing to keep in mind when buying tires is where you are going to get them installed. Around here some shops will not install tires that you bought elsewhere and others will only install them for an inflated fee since you didn't buy them there.

I have one shop that I've used for quit a few years that always tells me what the tires list for and then when I order them Monty usually knocks 20-30 off the list price so I end up paying a little more than mail order but I then get the tire mounted and balanced for about $20 each if I just bring in the wheels.

I have haven't ordered a mail order tire for a couple of years because I don't think its really fair to them even though they will install them for me for the same price. The last one I mail ordered was for my Sabre and was a Metzler ME-880. I had tried to order it through New Mexico Motorcycles but their distributor couldn't get one in, in time for a trip that I was taking so I ordered one from Dennis Kirk and got it in three days then had them install it. I told them I would take the tire I had ordered when it came in but Monty told me not to worry about it and to see if they still had it when I needed another front tire.

I think that this shop has been more than fair to me over the years and so I try to buy what I can from them. They are also a salvage yard so I get a lot of used parts from them as well. When it comes to saving a few dollars by mail ordering I always think that if I don't support the shops that treat me right they may not be there and I may have to deal with shops that I would rather not support at all.

What is a good relationship with a shop worth?

Mike

Comment

Mike

i agree with you and would glady give the business to a shop (if the prices were somewhat close) to foster a good relationship for if and when i do need there expertise

but the 3 closest dealerships i contacted couldn't find any either......

Comment

Working...
                              X