• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PhilEkins
    so am i missing something

My manual says to get

100/90-19 - Front
    110/90-17 - Rear

and i've checked all the websites listed above plus a couple of dealers and nobody can find me a metzler ME33/ME550 or dunlop 491 Elite II (the 2 tires i seem to see most) in these sizes...

are they listed under a different size description..?

MAGICTOM - if you see anything can you send me a link...if i see soemthing i'll do the same..

Thanks

Phil

I use a 110/90-19 front and in the Elite II, which uses the alphanumeric sizes, it is a MM/90-19.

You might want to check the size of your rear tire again a 110 seems pretty narrow for a rear a 130 would seem more likely. My 81 750L uses a 140/90 - 16 rear and my Honda Sabre had a 130/90-17.

Mike

Comment

ahhh....

there switching codes on me...

i got the sizes out of clymer..

the rear right now is a continental K112....apparntly they still make it...i'll have to see how wide it is

Comment

My manual says to get

100/90-19 - Front
        110/90-17 - Rear

and i've checked all the websites listed above plus a couple of dealers and nobody can find me a metzler ME33/ME550 or dunlop 491 Elite II (the 2 tires i seem to see most) in these sizes...

are they listed under a different size description..?

MAGICTOM - if you see anything can you send me a link...if i see soemthing i'll do the same..

Thanks

Phil
        I just bought a 110/90-17 rear tire for my '83 GS450TX and it was definitely hard to find a rear in that size. Most people asked if I was sure I had read the size right, or if it was for a front tire. I settled on a Bridgestone Battleax BT45, which a lot of people on this forum seem to like. It was about $93 delivered, including a tube, from www.tiresunlimited.com

Good luck,
        Chad

Comment

hmmm i hadn't been looking at bridgestone......

so it seems like my choices are go bigger and get a 130/90-17 (which the consensus is will fit and get a metzler Metronic) or go with the bridgestone in a stock size....

as i'm planning to put a new tire (maybe a metzler laser) on the front next spring i guess is pairing up that important...

i read a lot of tires "work well with...."

so whats people's thoughts on matching the front & back..?

Comment

I have not tried the Bridgestone Battlax. I got a Bridgestone Spitfire with my 1100G, and disliked it. I switched it to a Metzler ME55.

When I bought the 1100GK, it came with a Bridgestone Spitfire....but with more tread. I dislike it. It slips easily, especially at intersections while turning, and, even more especially, it slips if there is even a hint of sand on the road.

The Metzeler does not do this.

I have a Metzeler on order, from Ron Ayers, for the GK.

Matching front/rear tires according to manufacturer specifications is a good idea. The tire characteristics are designed to work with each other.

If you are an experienced rider, by all means mix and match, and make your own best judgment.

If you are an inexperienced rider, stick with the manufacturer recommendations.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

My manual says to get
              100/90-19 - Front
              110/90-17 - Rear
              Thanks
              Phil
              You're not missing a thing. Welcome to the world of older motorcycles. I'm running the same size front tire as you and was able to find a Bridgestone Spitfire 11F in 100/90-19. I'm not sure if they offer the rear in your size as I have a 16 rear tire.
              Good luck,
              Andy

Comment

Working...
              X