Obliterated head gasket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obliterated head gasket.

I put about 2500 miles on my GS1100GL last week. Our whole trip was to be about 4000 miles. We were cut short by my head gasket blowing up. Literally. Any suggestions on what I should look for when I pull apart my engine? I mean my bike was purring like a kitten, no leaks, or nuthin. And all of a sudden there's a piece about and inch and a half missing from my gasket. Nothing suggested a massive compression change, but this is a little more than just a worn, old gasket.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Steve
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

As far as the head gasket goes - the only thing that I can think of to check is the straightness of the surfaces on the cylinder block and head.

It's more work, but you might consider replacing the cylinder base gasket also. Those 20 year old gaskets get brittle and then they leak. You may not be leaking now, but as soon as you replace the head gasket, you will then. It's called Murphy's Law.

Comment

I'll have to agree with Swanny, it's good practice to replace the base gasket also. They don't seal as well after you remove the clamping force by pulling the head.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. (I think - now that you've exponentially increased the amount of work I have to do ). Oh well, that's the joy of owning an older bike I guess.
        sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

A few tips on installing the pistons back into the cylinders.

I used hose clamps to compress the rings. Don't overdue it - they only need to be compressed enough to get started into the bevel at the bottom of the cylinders.

Stagger the ring end gaps.

Start with the two center cylinders first, then press the cylinders down a bit and rotate the crank. Watch the two pistons that are already in place to make sure you don't go too far and back the rings out.

Get someone to help. This is best with 2 people.

Comment

Thanks Swanny. I'll try this.
            sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
            X