Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charging Problems! Beating a dead horse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging Problems! Beating a dead horse?

I purchased my 85 GS700E in February and have ridden it about 3000 miles this spring. She had a problem starting from the beginning. I thought it was the cold but when warm weather came and she still required jumping or pushing to start I replaced the battery.

Now two weeks and 500 miles later I needed to push start again. The battery is brand new! I guess that means I have a charging problem. When I checked the voltage with the bike running it was only at 12.5 (@3000rpm). Without the bike running was at 12.3.

What I don?t understand is how I got 500 miles to the shore and back without the battery dieing and leaving me set without any spark.

I know that charging problems are common on these older bikes but I don?t have the first clue of where to start diagnosing and fixing this one.

Are there any procedures I should follow to diagnose the problem? or do you already know what?s going on.

Any help or guidance you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Paul Billett

+++}=======>

You may not be facing a major problem...you might start by cleaning all connections...this alone can lead to the charging difficulties. 12.3 volts will keep the bike running indefinitely, but it is a bit short of what is needed to keep the battery charged. I have seen reports of people cleaning up the connections and getting an additional 1/2 volt or more. That may be all you need.

If that isn't enough, look on this site for the Stator Papers. Print them out and take them and a good volt-ohmmeter to the bike and set thyself down. (Don't use a cheap one, they tend to give erratic readings)

Follow the instructions in order...no shortcuts.

BTW digital meters are easier to use, because their readings are in decimal form, instead of a sweep hand.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I dont know if the 85 700 has the regulator ground atached to the regulator mounting bolt, but if it does take the ground leed and extend it to ground at the battery.
      do all the test in the stator pages.
      clean all the conections and make sure all the grounds are making good contact, it is a good Idea to link all the grounds together to the battery.
      on my80 1000g the factory ground cable only went to the engine case, the grounds for all the electrical systems on the bike were atached to the battery box that had to make good contact with the frame, that had to make good contact to the engine to make it to the battery ground. several people here, (me included) have made new ground cables that have a "Y" in one end that ties the grounds together greatly improving the reliability of our bikes electrical systems.

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
        If that isn't enough, look on this site for the Stator Papers. Print them out and take them and a good volt-ohmmeter to the bike and set thyself down. (Don't use a cheap one, they tend to give erratic readings)
        Thank you I didn't remember the Stator Papers. I think I'll get myself a battery maintainer (that I don't have to watch like the charger I have now) and leave it hooked up while I'm not riding.

Then I'll start to clean connections and test but I'll still be able to ride without worrying to much.

Paul Billett

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
          I dont know if the 85 700 has the regulator ground atached to the regulator mounting bolt, but if it does take the ground leed and extend it to ground at the battery.
          Hmmmm... there are two black wires connected to the battery. The thick one is obviously ground but where the other comes from I've never checked.

Thanks
          Paul

Comment

Re: Charging Problems! Beating a dead horse?

Originally posted by Billett
            I replaced the battery.

Now two weeks and 500 miles later I needed to push start again. The battery is brand new! I guess that means I have a charging problem. When I checked the voltage with the bike running it was only at 12.5 (@3000rpm). Without the bike running was at 12.3.

Any help or guidance you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks
            Paul Billett

+++}=======>
            When you purchased your battery, after filling with elecrolyte did you put it on 1-2amp charger for 8-12 hrs? This is important and brings the battery up to 13+ volts. If this is not accomplished then the battery performance will be lacking. Others have already given you very good advice, but to reiterate....Read and follow the Stator Papers. Good luck.

Comment

Re: Charging Problems! Beating a dead horse?

Originally posted by moto_dan
              When you purchased your battery, after filling with elecrolyte did you put it on 1-2amp charger for 8-12 hrs? This is important and brings the battery up to 13+ volts.
              Yes it was on overnight but never read quite 13... it was just shy maybe it could have used an extra hour or two.

Thanks all. I now know where to start!

Paul

Comment

Working...
              X