GSX750, Hard Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX750, Hard Start

My 1980 GSX750 Runs perfectly fine once running, but it is immpossible to start.

i have cahnged the battery, spark plugs, i've just had the starter motor checked out( Hard turning over?????) there is fuel flowing through the filter, so i asume it's getting enough fuel.

Is there anything else i should check??

are you setting the choke to FULL and not touching the throttle? that is the proper way to start it.

Comment

Impossible to start is not enough of a description.

Is it turning over fast or slow?

Comment

Turns over very slow with throttle closed and choke on

turns over better with throttle open.

I haven't tested the spark yet, but from reading other messages,
        i think i might have a blockage in the carbies as it has been sitting with fuel in it for a couple of weeks now, and often sits for a while.

I know the petcock is working properly and the fuel is getting as far as the line. Past there i haven't checked yet

Comment

You might need a good carb cleaning, especially the choke/starter and pilot circuits. If the carbs are out of sinc' you can have hard starting too.
          Intake leaks will give a lean condition and make starting hard.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Turns over very slow with throttle closed and choke on

turns over better with throttle open.
            The motor will always turn over a bit faster with the throttle open. This is due to less restriction on the intake side, This would be more noticable if the motor was turning over very slow to begin with, as yours is.

First - is that battery good? No - replace, Yes - then the problem is either the starter, starter relay, or corroded connections.

You should probably clean all of the connections in the starter link - starter solenoid, battery, starter, and ground. In most cases this will solve your problem - remember that you have 20 year old electrical connections, they probably need some TLC. If it doesn't, then you need to do some troubleshooting with a voltmeter.

You may find some earlier posts on this by doing a search. If you don't, just ask again.

Comment

Working...
            X