No announcement yet.

Is WD-40 a safe lubricant for...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never had a problem with plain ole "completely reformulated for your area" gasoline - and just for the record, the lever should be a little hard to turn - if it were easy to turn it would leak!! 8)

Comment

well i'll try the gas method....anybody know off hand what guage tube i need to extend the gas line to drain the tank...

Comment

Just go to the local hardware store or Home Depot and get 5/16" I.D. vinyl tubing. It will slip right over the outlet on the petcock.

Earl

Originally posted by PhilEkins
        well i'll try the gas method....anybody know off hand what guage tube i need to extend the gas line to drain the tank...
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

thanks earl

Comment

I have rebuilt many petcocks over the years but only if they leak. My experiance has been with the GS even after a rebuild it was hard to turn. I don't know if it have something to do with the Vacuum valve gizmo, which just saved my ass as I had a fuel line break recently. But if I was you, well I'd leave it alone, there's a pair of plieers that comes with the bike for a reason.
            If it's broke fix it, if it ain't broke fix it till it is. :twisted:

Comment

"will brake cleaner work to clean it up..? "

I used to work at Precision Tune for many years rebuilding car carbs, and Brake cleaner is a big NO NO, for anything that has a gasket, it is a good cleaner but it will also clean the gaskets right out of there. If you use it without any gaskets on there make sure you rinse all residue of teh brake cleaner off any surface that will have a gasket on it. It will eat up some of the gasket and cause a leak.
              And trust me when I say finding a gasket that is leaking because brake cleaner ate away at some of the gasket is very hard to find

Comment

I have to disagree with the statement that WD-40 is hard on rubber parts. I've used it to lube my clutch cable for over 20 years and some always gets on the rubber dust cover that you have to pull back to expose the adjuster and I've still got the original one and it's like new. Also if WD-40 is mainly kerosene and kerosene is hard on rubber, then why is kerosene recommended for O-ring chains??? Again, I've used it to clean my chain since my bike was new and I've only replaced the chain once.

Comment

The petcock on my 1983 GS750ES has been incredibly difficult to turn since the bike was new, and required the careful use of pliers. So, I have been riding around for 20+ years with the tap in the "reserve" position......fortunately the bike has a gas guage and I always zero the trip odometer when I fill it, so I know how many "miles are left in the tank".

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                    WD-40 is not a lubricant. It is a water displacement compound and is primarily kerosene. It should never be used as a lubricant.

Earl
                    Firstly, the stuff is 75% petroleum distillates, not kerosene. Kerosene may be a petroleum based product, but that doesn't say that all petroleum distillates are kerosene!
                    The other bit is a light oil. The distillates are used as a carrier for the 25% that is a light oil, and mostly evaporate leaving behind the lubrcating oil.
                    Bear in mind that most lubricating oils are petroleum distillates too.
                    Although WD-40 was originally developed as a water dispersant, it is now marketed as a multi-function product, one of which is a lubricant.
                    There are many other products on the market which operate on the same principal - a light lubricating oil carried in a solvent- which I bet you would never query as being lubricants.
                    WD-40 can be used as a lubricant in circumstances where its properties match the type of lubrication needed, i.e. quick flowing, non-permanent etc. An example is the inside of a padlock.
                    To say "WD-40 is not a lubricant. It should never be used as a lubricant." is over egging the pudding a tad. It is not a suitable lubricant where a heavier oil or grease is needed, but it can do the job of a cleaner/lubricant when appropriate. Us a bit of CDF.

As for the plastics/rubber question, most makers of plastic and/or rubber products would not recommend the use of ANY petroleum based product for lubrication or cleaning, unless said product has been specially made to withstand exposure to them. One can assume that the rubber parts in a fuel tap HAVE been designed with exposure to petroleum in mind!!

Comment

WD-40....copied from their site"

What does WD-40 stand for?
                      WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion?a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try. Please see Our History for more information.

What does WD-40 contain?
                      While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.

What is the shelf life of WD-40?
                      Indefinite. While some products may have an expiration date, WD-40 lasts so long that a "use by" date isn't necessary.

How long does WD-40 last after application?
                      While this may vary depending on the application, WD-40 remains effective even after it appears to dry. The corrosion and rust protection ingredients remain adhered to the surface. External conditions may, of course, require additional applications of WD-40 for maximum protection.

I've heard that people use WD-40 as a cleaner/remover. What can it be used on?
                      WD-40 removes sap, tar, adhesives, labels and tape from surfaces without damaging existing paint. It's an effective cleaner for tools, equipment, and vehicles. Use it to remove splattered bugs from the front of cars. WD-40 will even help remove gum from carpet. Just spray, wait, and wipe with a clean cloth.

How is WD-40 different from 3-IN-ONE?
                      WD-40 is the ultimate multi-purpose problem solver. WD-40 cleans/degreases, penetrates to loosen up stuck parts, prevents corrosion and is a light lubricant. 3-IN-ONE, with it's special drip spout, enables you to lubricate without any overspray or splatter. 3-IN-ONE is ideal to use on tools, rollers, hinges, in-line skates, wheels...nearly everything that moves.

What does WD-40 do?
                      WD-40 fulfills five basic functions:

CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape and excess bonding material.
                      DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
                      PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
                      LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
                      PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.
                      What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?
                      WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.
                      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X