Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions from a newbie

Hey all,

I have an 82 gs650g that's having a few issues , it's rideable, but I want to take care of them. First off, she's leaking oil from a few different places. I've got a complete gasket set coming this week, and I'm going to tear it down and hopefully solve the leaks so, here's my question:

Clymer manual says that I have to pull the clutch when I'm taking the engine out. I'm not planning on splitting the block because there's no leaking there, but I need to get the oil sump off cause it's leaking bad. Can I do this without pulling the clutch?

Next question, the bike runs a bit rich, so after 400 miles or so the plugs foul up and then she misfires. It has done this since I bought it. I drilled out the plugs to access the air screws on the carbs, but the damn screws are seized and won't move a bit. Now I just carry an extra set of plugs, but I'm looking for any recommendations with this issue.

Thanks in advance,
    Jasper

The 850 and 1000/1100 dont require the clutch to be removed, so I dont see why the 650 does, but I dont have a 650 manual so I cant say for sure if it is needed.

are the plugs a shiny black ( oil fouled), or are they a flat black (gas)?

Comment

Screws

Put some Break Free, or some other type of lubricant on those screws every time you get done running the bike. Let it work in and they will come loose.

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks for your info, that's a relief that I shouldn't have to pull the clutch, don't have the tools for that. The plugs are flat black, it's definately a carb issue. I'll try the Break Free and see how that works.

Thanks Again,
        Jasper

Comment

Working...
        X