Does this sound too hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this sound too hot?

I readjusted my carbs today, and it took quite awhile. I kept the rpm's around 3000. After several minutes of adjusting, then attatching the gas tank for more fuel, then adjusting some more, not only was the engine hot, but the part of the frame that sits under the tank was hot.

When I say hot I mean if I had of held on for more than a few second it would have burnt me. Now if this is normal then fine, but that would mean the bottom of the gas tank would get very hot also. (gas and heat aren't 2 things I want to have to worry about at the same time)

Or is this heat normal with a sustained rpm around 3000 with the bike sitting still?

It's hard to say what too hot is, but keep this in mind. You have an air cooled motor. At 3000 RPM you are developing significant heat. Try putting a large fan close to the motor and turn it on high to get rid of some of that heat. Especially if it's taking you a long time to sync the carbs.

Comment

Before synching my carbs I went out and picked up a box type fan for around $15. I figured it was cheap insurance against ruining an engine that I had put alot of effort into rebuilding.

Jeff

Comment

Just a note - your in OK city, the ambient air temperature today was probably 100 degrees F. (that's in the shade), the temperature on the concrete was probably close to 120 degrees F. - and without air movement around the motor, the frame, along with everything else will absorb the heat the motor is desperately trying to get rid of - So I'd say what you experienced today is probably normal for your neck of the woods!! 8)

Comment

And if you can, get a fan (or 2) that throws a lot of wind. Some, because of different blade design, don't blow very well.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

You need air moving over the engine to cool it. At 3000 rpm, it will get hot pretty quick. Just last weekend my wife and I went to the beach. We stopped at 7-11 for some cool refreshment. I walked past two Hondas idling in the 30+C degree heat, bought two drinks and came out, 8O yup still idling, I could feel the heat from feet away. I contemplated turning them off, but the riders came out. So I went over to the wife and while we drank the gulps (about 5 min), then guys stood there jawing. I was going to go tell them that aircooled motors require movement to cool but they mounted up. Please don't let your bike sit and idle or run it at high rpm with out at fan. It destroys the tension of the rings.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
              And if you can, get a fan (or 2) that throws a lot of wind. Some, because of different blade design, don't blow very well.
              Go buy this fan. Its only 8 bucks at Walmart. It will outperform every other fan they have except for the big shop fan. And its tiny and cheap
              . BTW, its made by honeywell and called the turbo fan or something like that.....

Comment

Working...
              X