'79 GS850 Turn signal modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 GS850 Turn signal modification

In my previous post, I requested information about the turn signal control unit. That is the high-dollar, delicate, works-when-it-wants-to device on the right side of the battery box. Since its design is to "automatically" make the blinkers go off (based on vehical speed), when its rusted and broke, many things don't work.

I received good advice about cutting the 4 pronged plug and jumpering the wires accordingly. This worked!! WooHoo!! Here is the next task:

Someone who has accomplished this task please let know exactly how to do it: How do I incorporate the blinker relay into an already "rigged" electrical system? I know I won't have automatic shut-off but I want them to stay on when I need them. I do realize I'll have to hold the switch but at least I won't have to push it over for every 'blink'. :x :x :x

Also, my left rear blinker (actually all four) is wired so one filiment stays on as a "running light" and the other half of the bulb blinks. For some reason the left rear running filiment goes out and the blinker filiment does not light. I've troubleshot and I do have voltage going to the bulb socket. The previous owner wired the running lights (one filament of the blinker assy) to the license plate light; hence, running lights. But when I check this circuit, the license plate wire (gray) measures shorted to ground. Yet it works! Go figure...

If anyone has any direct and first hand experience with the flasher unit question please help. The second issue seems like something is shorted to groud but I can't make sense of it.

Thank you to all those that respond; this website is a Godsend!! :x 8O

Jon

I was just wondering. How awkward is it to pull in the clutch and hold the signal switch? Some GS's can have pretty stiff clutch levers and it seems like it might be bothersome? Most of us use all 4 fingers on the lever and our thumb grips the bar. If you make your thumb do "double duty" it may be a bothersome side effect of this mod'? I imagine some people may not mind it at all, while others may not like it at all and end up not using their signals sometimes because of it.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I recently changed my `79 GS1000E Self cancelling signals to manual. I got a left hand control from a GS750 mounted it to the bike and cut the plug end off and re -soldered the original plug on. Most of the wires were just a matter of matching up the colors, except for the relay. I connected the brown with yellow stripe wire to the relay load side(Light Blue wire) at the bike wire harness. I then connected the brown with yellow stripe wire to the relay load side at the switch.

Comment

Check the bulbs themselfs. Disconnect the orange wire from the turn signal switch. Install the turn signal relay between the turn signal switch and the orange wire that previously went to the switch

Comment

Working...
        X