Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My boots melted all over my exhaust! How do I get it off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My boots melted all over my exhaust! How do I get it off?

On the most excellent Chicago GS ride a week back, some of the sole on my boots (Doc Martins) melted all over my chrome exhaust (feet on the rear pegs a few times)! How do I get it off without making it worse? It looks like total crap now.................

.....I got some advice to heat it up and then I can get it off better.....sounds right......

razor blade?

or get it good and hot again...then try scraping it off when warm.

blowtorch?

~Adam

Comment

Re: My boots melted all over my exhaust! How do I get it off

Put a dry, sewn, firm buffing pad in a high speed electric drill and the pad will heat up the melted material and pick it up, throwing it off the pipe. Not a flat pad, but a disk that you buff with by using the edge.

Earl

Originally posted by 77gs550
      On the most excellent Chicago GS ride a week back, some of the sole on my boots (Doc Martins) melted all over my chrome exhaust (feet on the rear pegs a few times)! How do I get it off without making it worse? It looks like total crap now.................

.....I got some advice to heat it up and then I can get it off better.....sounds right......
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The best way to get it off (and it's very easy) is to use super fine steel wool - like #0000. I use a chrome polish and just put it on the steel wool pad and then scrub away - it comes right off. And it makes your chrome look great.

--Dwight

Comment

been there ....did that .........

i had the same thing happen .........all i did was use some no#7 polishing compound...........CAME RIGHT OFF!!!!!!!!! THREE MINUTES !!

Comment

Docs are the worst for that!! Use some polishing compound and get heat resistant boots!!!

Comment

Don't rub too hard.

I like the fine steel wool and metal polish idea. You may even discover that you'r pipes will shine up better than ever. Don't rub too hard in one spot though. I have some adhesive resin driped on one of my pipes. I rubbed a little too hard trying to get it off. Luckily I stoped when I noticed the crome thining out a little. The rest of the system shined up better than ever though.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, this weekend I'm going for it. Yeah, I need some heat resistant boots. $$$ ....but for now I'll keep the docs off the pipes

Comment

Use nevr-Dull

Nevr-Dull is a great product if you want to do it cold without any removal of the chrome as steel wool will if you aren't extremely careful. You can pick it up at Wal-Mart for a few bucks. It is also very handy at removing rust from chrome and conditioning polished aluminum. Make sure to wipe your pipe with alcohol after using it or it will smell funny. But even that won't damage anything.

Comment

Just today the wife and i need to go to Wally World. I picked up some #0000 steel wool while there. I have Turtle Wax chrome polish already.

Decided I'd try this on a non-essential piece first, in case something went horribly wrong. So, out comes the rear fender from the 650GL parts bike. This has seen better days. One of the major concerns was the black spray-paint overspray. Put some polish on a pad, and went to work. The paint came right off. I didn't scrub to hard, but I could have, as other than the paint coming off, the chrome wasn't affected.
                    The next piece was the chrome headlight bucket from the same bike. This one had some custom "engineering" done, in the style of Duct Tape, as the ring was gone. So, it had god-knows-how-old tape residue all over it. Scraped most of it off with a buck knife, then did the steel wool and polish. Looks great now. The price went up too.
                    So finally, i decided to see if it would get rid of the shoe sole residue (both from resting my shoes on while riding, and from my shoe hitting the pipe when deploying either stand) and miscellaneous yucky crap from my exhaust and case guards. It worked great.
                    None of the pieces were affected in the slightest from the steel wool. They look better than they did before.

Comment

Originally posted by dwigbrad
                      The best way to get it off (and it's very easy) is to use super fine steel wool - like #0000. I use a chrome polish and just put it on the steel wool pad and then scrub away - it comes right off. And it makes your chrome look great.

--Dwight
                      ....so I got some extra fine steel wool, buffing wheels, polish and all the goodies. I've been meaning to get a wheel to do the engine and metals,after cleaning test spots I know it will come out looking awesome. Got some water and used the steel wool on the pipes.....wow.......no more boot meltings! It took a few minutes but they look better than they did before!!!!! I can't wait to do the whole thing, it needs it. That stuff is like magic! 8) 8)

Comment

Working...
                      X