Determining year and exact model from serial # on engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Determining year and exact model from serial # on engine

I know I won't be able to provide a whole lot of information for my question, but hopefully someone can get me started down the right track. A few weeks ago I picked up a complete running GS engine from a guy. I am not all too familiar with the GS line so I am hoping someone might be able to help me figure out if you can determine the year and exact engine model type from the serial number off the engine. The serial number stamped on the block is GS75x-162877. I bought the engine off a guy who bought it off a guy who bought it...etc, etc, so any information on the year and exact engine type has been lost. What I do know is this:

- it does have TSCC insignia on the side cover of the engine
    - it is a 750
    - believed to be from early 80's
    - it is chain driven

I have been doing my research online, reading different articles on GS's, GSX's, GSXR's, model designation letters and it is confusing me a lot! This is pretty much all the info I know right off the top of my head. Thanks for your time.

this may be too obvious, but did you check the headstock plate? it should have the year and model on it (the tube on the top of the forks, behind the headlight)

Comment

You are correct, that would be all too obvious. But, I only have the engine. I don't have the bike, the frame, the electronics, the wheels...just a complete running engine and nothing more.

Comment

The 750 engines with TSCC on the valve covers syarted in 83. If it's a US bike that is the year since they went 700cc in 84 but if the engine is from Canada it could be from 83 to 86.

Double check the valve cover against what is shown on Bike Bandit.
        Also check what the displacement is on the pad at the base of the cylinders.

Comment

I think that it wouldn't matter since all 80-82 GS750's were identical. Is the TSCC on the side or on the top(valve cover)? If its just on the side than its 80-82. If its on the top then its an 83-86.

Comment

The TSCC would be on the side, not on the top. Are the GS, the GSX, and the GSXR different motors, or are they different designations for options on the bike itself?

Comment

GS = air cooled US motor.
              GSX = air cooled non-US motor.
              GSXR = air and oil cooled motor.

Comment

Just to clarify, the gs (tscc) and gsx are the same motor. The tscc stands for twin swirl combustion chamber. It is a 16 valve engine that can be identified by rectangular chrome caps on the valve cover ends. The 8 valve GS has round caps.

Comment

Incidentally, I ran into one of the original owners of the engine. He said that it is a 78-79 GS 750 TSCC. He also had a service manual for the bike, so I think I am all set to go on that. Thanks to everyone again for helping me clarify this and teaching me a couple things.

Dan

Comment

I didn't know that there were any 4 valve engines before 1980.

Anybody

Comment

Working...
                    X