Engine stutters at high speed/revs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine stutters at high speed/revs

I've noticed a few times recently that the bike sort of stutters or drags briefly when I'm at over 7000 rpm(OK, I shouldn't be there but it happens occasionally). Once it's happened it seems to happen once or twice more on the way down to about 5000rpm. I'm now beginning to notice it too sometimes if I accelerate fast from a standstill.

Also, if I come down from high speed simply by letting off the throttle, I get a sort of halfhearted backfire from the exhaust (the first couple of times the sound made me think a bee had pinged off my crash helmet so it's more of a pop than a bang).

Any ideas what might be the cause?

Roger

Check for an air leak on the engine side of the carbs, it sounds like a too lean condition.

Comment

Also Fuel Starvation

Chief is right, but I just had sort of the same problem and it had to do with the petcock being put in a bad spot. Therefore when my fuel hose is too long it would cut off circulation of fuel. Long story short not enough gas for it to maintain high speed. If you have a fuel filter that is a good indication that you need a new one.[/code]

Comment

Thanks both. I think it's more likely the fuel hose/filter as, now you mention it, I've had trouble there before. I'll check it out.

Roger

Comment

Working...
        X