82 gs650 hard starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs650 hard starting

Hi it's me again, thanks to all the great info I have resolved my other problems but now I am having a hard time starting. The engine turns over normally. The plugs are new and the carbs have been rebuilt with the floats adjusted to 22mm. The suzuki dealer said my coils were fine and plug ends okay too. I put a new battery in as well. I can start it only by giving it throttle, but when I let off the throttle she will die. She will spit some gas out the vent tubes if I have to throttle her to start. Obviously you shouldn't have to use the throttle to start anyway. All fluids have been changed and she is ready for the road if she would only start. I had her starting fine before I adjusted the floats and siliconed the boots on the carbs. Rescue please! 8O

Turn the idle screw clockwise, sounds like the idle is to low to maintain a running speed. It should idle between 1200-1600 rpm when warm and the choke is off.

8) Dr. Dre 8)

Comment

Sorry, I am A total idiot(newbie) so where would I find the Idle screw, because that would be great if I could adjust it. Thanks!

Comment

Idle Screw

The Idle screw should be between the inner two carbs. It is easy to locate as it is a large thumbscrew. Easiesty way to adjust is to simply put the bike in neutral. Have it on side stand wear a pair of gloves as you may contact a hot engine component and stand to the left side of the bike. Start using the throttle and rev it to 1000 rpm's. Rotate the screw one way or the other till you feel it idle up. It should not take much so ifv it takes a while go the other way. When you can let go of the throttle and it idles at the correct speed like the last post mentions of 1200 rpm's. then your done. If you are like me and like the rumble of an engine then let it idle at 1000 rpm. I have hadit set at that for years and have had no adverse affects as long as the bike was tuned well. If the bike starts to get out of tune then it will stall at idle. I like using that as a guage of when I should tune that bike and what not.
        My bike is a shrinking machine, twist the right handle and everything in your mirrors shrink. :twisted:

Comment

Stillcan't get her to idle, she will stall if I let off the throttle.

Comment

Played withthe idle screw, seems I can't get jer to idle even after adjusting the idle screw and then the air mixture screws. I can see some fuel coming from the vent tbes but nothing else. I charged the battery and still nothing. SOMEBODY HELP PLEASE!

Comment

If fuel is running out of the float bowl overflow lines, then the engine is flooding due to a too high fuel level in the bowls. This can happen when you try to start a bike with the throttle open. You are just soaking the plugs and they will not fire. The spark will choose the easiest path to ground and will not jump the plug gap. The spark just tracks on the film of gas to the head. Clean/dry the plugs off. If the floats are adjusted correctly, then you may have a problem with the float needle valve(s) not sealing properly. Are all 4 overflowing or just 1? With the bike just standing/off, does it still overflow, or only when you open the throttle trying to start?
              If your overflow problem is only because of the way you are trying to start it, then you may need to properly sinc' the carbs. You also should remove the silicone sealant from the carb air filter boots/ rubber manifolds and check or replace the manifolds/o-rings and tighten up the air filter boot clamps or replace them also. If you have an intake leak large enough, this lean condition will not allow you to start easily. I've read about several people here trying to seal these parts with silicone and many times it does'nt work or does'nt last long.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

how many turns did you set your air mixture screws ( the little guys each carb has on the very top on the carb body between the rubber boots and the slide). i know my bike was bad news until i found out how many turns they need to be then it started right up. try to use the choke too when starting not the throttel.

ryan
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Maybe this is obvious to you, but are you sure your floats are floating. They may have leaks. Take them off and shake them around near your ear. If you hear liquid sloshing around in there the you've definitley got a bad float. Leaking floats are quite common of these old bikes.

Comment

Working...
                  X