Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing handlebar grips

Hey,

I'm trying to replace the handlebars on my bike currently, and I need help getting the grips off the current bars. I don't have another set of grips at the moment, so I'd like to use the ones I currently have on the old bars on the new bars. Anyone have suggestions on how to remove them easily? or any other handlebar swapping suggestions? Thanks.

--Tyler

I just sort of pried around with a thin bladed screwdriver while pulling the grips off. Others have suggested using WD-40 or liquid soap to seep under the grip from the exposed end to loosen things up. One person has suggested using a hairdryer to loosen the adhesive under the grip. I didn't find it too hard to get them off.

Comment

You only have to take off the left one. Leave the right on the throttle sleeve.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary
        You only have to take off the left one. Leave the right on the throttle sleeve.
        Yup. Since you want to re-use them, the right one comes off as soon as you loosen the throttle-retaining bolts. The left one can be loosened with heat. If the heat from a hair dryer is not enough, try boiling water.

Bend the bike over to the left and hold a plastic cup/tumbler over it, then slowly pour boiling water over the grip, and into the cup/tumbler.

Hold the heat in place for a minute or so. Peel or pull off the grip.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
        X