No announcement yet.

Drive Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude - I just noticed you're in Carmichael - we should hook up sometime, maybe with jskellington who's in Oakland...

Comment

I don't know what all this hassle is all about anyway. I have ridden nothing but chain driven motorcycles off and on for the better part of 37 years. Chains are not and never have been a hassle to adjust and lubricate for me. Seems like other bike maintainence like changing tires, lubricating cables, changing fork seals, adjusting valves, removing and refilling the battery, changing engine oil are all more time consuming than any dealing with a chain. Heck if you find chains a hassle I think you miss out on a major part of joy of cycling. And that is the part where you get a little greasy and feel a little tingle of satisfaction when you're done. If the only reason you have a bike is just to get on and ride and to not be bothered with the hassles then in my opinion you missed out on what endears people to their machines. Cars in my opinion are the hassle free transportation. One barely has to remember to do the periodic maintainence on them. You just get in and drive. Motorcycles on the other hand seem to demand your undivided attention and makes us tend to think of them as personalities give them names. To me it's like having a child but finding that changing diapers or wiping noses are too much of a hassle! What's the point of being a parent if you don't get your hands a little dirty :roll:

Comment

A few points, Michael:

1. If you ever get yourself a shaftie, the first thing you'll wonder is how you put up with chain maintenance, lubing, etc., all those years.

2. Most of us on shafties once owned chains; most of you on chains have never owned a shaftie.

3. Shaftie owners, contrary to what you're implying, do lovingly care for our machines, and derive the same source of satisfaction you do. We just don't like getting down on hands and knees every thousand miles or so and messing with that stuff. Chain maintenance is not an inherent part of motorcycle maintenance and its joys. A thousand miles is what some of us put on a bike in no time at all; very often on a long weekend ride. Changing gear lube once or twice a year certainly beats getting down there and lubing that chain -- to some of us anyway!

So, enjoy lubing your chain. I'll keep on riding.

Nick

Comment

I can put this beaten horse to bed right now. Chain or shaft is the same maintenence. Unfortunately, most people don't care for a chain the correct way, which is the same way a shaft drive is maintained. Once a year, when the tire is off (as Nick said), clean the chain off and coat with gear lube. I take it a step further and get the chain hot with a heat gun first. Then wait a few hours before riding. This is how the factory preps thier chains before delivery and how pro race mechainics do it. Of course there is the Pillage School of WD-40- good for chains, bolts, the waffle iron, squeaky shoes, bug repellent, bad breath...

Chain or shaft is the same s#!t. No better, no worse. Next topic...
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
            I can put this beaten horse to bed right now. Chain or shaft is the same maintenence. Unfortunately, most people don't care for a chain the correct way, which is the same way a shaft drive is maintained. Once a year, when the tire is off (as Nick said), clean the chain off and coat with gear lube. I take it a step further and get the chain hot with a heat gun first. Then wait a few hours before riding. This is how the factory preps thier chains before delivery and how pro race mechainics do it. Of course there is the Pillage School of WD-40- good for chains, bolts, the waffle iron, squeaky shoes, bug repellent, bad breath...

Chain or shaft is the same s#!t. No better, no worse. Next topic...
            Hate to say it bro, but you have to lube that chain more than the one time you take the tire off...and you can grease the shaft splines in about 5 minutes. heating the chain, etc takes longer....same topic still... :twisted:

Comment

I'm still waiting for a belt-driven heathen to chime in and tell us we're all wrong....

Comment

Chain or shaft is the same s#!t.

Most definitely not! I've had both chain (11 years) and shaft (23 years), and I can tell you the difference in maintenance, timewise and effortwise, is totally different.

Shaftie Nick

Comment

Originally posted by QuaiChangKane
                  Dude - I just noticed you're in Carmichael - we should hook up sometime, maybe with jskellington who's in Oakland...
                  whenever is good for you! daveo916@comcast.net

Comment

So what if it takes me an extra minute to lube my chain before I go out. I guarantee you I'll pass you shafties on the road so what difference does it make?

You like your shafts, I like my chains. To each his own.

Comment

Maybe you decrepid ol farts just can't get down on your knees anymore! Could that really be what this arguement is about??

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:39 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what if it takes me an extra minute to lube my chain before I go out. I guarantee you I'll pass you shafties on the road so what difference does it make?

You like your shafts, I like my chains. To each his own.
                      Ha Ha! What he said!!!!

Comment

You cannot say which one is better, its all a matter of opinion. I own a shaft drive, and it definitaly is relatively carefree, compared to a chain...BUT, for a sporty car, i would rather have a manual transmission, than an automatic. manual is more of a hassle, but for me drive a manual it just feels sportier. for many its the other way.

Im sure for a few people like me, we would never feel the difference or mind the difference between the two. I would rather not get down on my knees and fiddle with a chain, hell i dont even grease my own splines, thats how lazy i am...

so for me the answer is obviously shaft.

Comment

Hate to say it bro, but you have to lube that chain more than the one time you take the tire off...and you can grease the shaft splines in about 5 minutes. heating the chain, etc takes longer....same topic still...

Really, that's right. I wouldn't know how often I need to lube the chain EVEN THOUGH I OWN ONE!!! Once a year pal, and it looks like new from spring to fall. I average 4000 miles a year and don't have a speck of rust on the puppy. I do not however ride in the winter. I'll leave that to the maniacs. Unless you have ever maintained a chainlike me (the correct way) then you don't really know, do you?

Cleaning the chain does take some time, but heating it does not. The real process is as follows:

1. When tire is off remove chain
                          2. Soak and clean the chain (I use kerosene)
                          3. Put the clean and dry unit back on the bike
                          4. Ride up street about 1/2 mile (chain will be hot)
                          5. Slather on gear lube
                          6. Let sit for a couple of hours

My chain looks like it is fresh out of the wrapper and I touch it once a year.

This really is a stupid discussion that I am perpetuating. I covet just about every bike out there, from Vespa to Valkarie. F#@k if I care weather it has a chain or shaft. F#@k this, I'm going to get a sandwich...
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Lighten up Francis!

Comment

Maybe you decrepid ol farts just can't get down on your knees anymore! Could that really be what this arguement is about??

No, we're not decrepid, but decrepit. That's what the argument is about!

And yes, the hell with getting down on hands and knees. Definitely too old for that, and hopefully, Michael, some day you'll get too old for that too!

Nick
                              (just sittin' a spell...)

Comment

4,000 miles a year. No wonder you don't need a shaft. On a shaftie you'd probably ride a lot more!

I love this argument!

Nick

Comment

Working...
                                X