Gas tank replacement question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bike is a 1982 GS1100GZ shaft drive touring bike, maroon color.
    I need to replace the gas tank. So far I do not find a used tank available for this model. The tank from a GS850G appears to be the same, but
    my question is: What other models and years have the same tank?

I can get a tank from a 1983 GS850 - but will it fit fer sure?

Thanks.
    Ed

Re: Gas tank replacement question

Originally posted by Ed Chilton
    My bike is a 1982 GS1100GZ shaft drive touring bike, maroon color.
    I need to replace the gas tank. So far I do not find a used tank available for this model. The tank from a GS850G appears to be the same, but
    my question is: What other models and years have the same tank?

I can get a tank from a 1983 GS850 - but will it fit fer sure?

Thanks.
    Ed
    Yes, Ed, the 1983 GS850GD tank will fit your (1982) GS1100GZ. Make absolutely sure it's one for a standard 850, and not the "L" model.

The 82 and 83 standard GS850G tank will fit the 82 and 83 standard GS1100G, and also the 82, 83, and 84 GS1100GK.

Nick

Comment

shouldnt the tank from a gs1000g also fit?
      ED I may know where to find a compatible gas tank if you need help locating one.

Comment

Nick knows whereof he speaks. I bought a 1982 GS850 tank from him a few years ago for my 1983 GS1100, both 'standard' models. They were fully interchangeable.

Comment

No, it won't!

Originally posted by focus frenzy
          ED I may know where to find a compatible gas tank if you need help locating one.
          Focus Frenzy, the GS1000G tank will not fit a GS1100G. The early GS850G (79, 80, 81) tank will interchange with the GS1000G (80 and 81). The late GS850G (82 and 83) will interchange with the GS1100G (82 and 83) and any year GK.

Nick

Comment

I remember you.

Nick knows whereof he speaks. I bought a 1982 GS850 tank from him a few years ago for my 1983 GS1100, both 'standard' models. They were fully interchangeable.

Hey, McConnell, I remember you. Is your first name Doug? If not, sorry about my senility.

I see you no longer live in Maryland, (Montgomery County, right?) but now in Colorado. Hope the fires haven't affected you.

Nick

Comment

Up to 81 they used a single bolt at the rear anchor 82 up changed to two bolt rear anchor

Comment

replacement gas tank

i took my gas tank to a radiator shop and had it redone for little to nothing
                but haven't picked it up yet.they told me that they would sand blast it and coat the inside,you might try that insted of buying a new one

craig
                83'gs1100gk
                spring,tx

Comment

Re: No, it won't!

Hey Nick, no doubt you are the king of the shafties so May I ask you this? Will a 1980 GS1100G tank fit a 1980 GS850G. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                  Originally posted by focus frenzy
                  Focus Frenzy, the GS1000G tank will not fit a GS1100G. The early GS850G (79, 80, 81) tank will interchange with the GS1000G (80 and 81). The late GS850G (82 and 83) will interchange with the GS1100G (82 and 83) and any year GK.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                  X