1980 GS 1100 - Stalls while riding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS 1100 - Stalls while riding.

I'll try and keep this short. The bike stalls after riding a while. Last time it happed it had been running maybe 10-15 mins. So I head out, and a mile or so it dies. I start pushing it, and once I go aways I figure what the heck... I get up some speed... pop the clutch in second, and it starts up. I ride the rest of the way home. This happened once before, but that time I tried it... I managed to get it started... it kept boggin till it died. I had been riding it for at an hour that time. Next morning... starts right up. arrrggg!?

I went through the bike when I first bought it.

Visually checked the wiring. Replaced the fuel line, and filters. Check the tank for debri.

I'm charging up a new battery today Fedx delivered. When the bike is at idle... I give it some gas, and the panel lights get bright. So I'm assuming it's charging. I guess my next step after the battery is our online trouble shooting FAQ. Any ideas would be great.

Thanx

John H

Have the coils tested.

Have the coils tested. Just a guess but sounds like they are cutting out on you when they warm up.

Comment

Another thing to check is your gas cap vent.

Comment

Or the inline fuel filter if you have one installed and also the screen on the petcock inside the gas tank.

Earl

Originally posted by Gary
        Another thing to check is your gas cap vent.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

You have a fuel flow problem.

First, check the fuel filter, because it is the easiest problem to resolve.

Check the fuel flow with the petcock set on PRI.

If there is little fuel flow, you need to clean or replace the integral petcock filter.....that suggestion, of course, presumes that you have one. You may not.

Many people have removed the integral petcock filter and either lied about using an in-line filter to replace it, or removed the filter and ignored the filter idea entirely, simply connecting the fuel line to run directly from fuel tank to carburetor..
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I'll check these out.

I replaced the fuel line, and fuel filter when I first got the bike and pulled the tank off to inspect it. I can see the fuel flow, and it appears to be alright. Anymore thoughts are appreciated.

Thanx

John H

Comment

Re: I'll check these out.

Its not uncommon for loss of fuel flow to be a cumulative thing. Fuel appears to flow normally when you pull a line off and inspect it, but after running for a while, debris is pulled little by little against the petcock screen and held there by engine draw. The screen gets blocked and the engine dies. A few minutes later, the silt settles again and it will run fine. Checking fuel flow once again appears normal. The next time it dies, leave the petcock set to RUN. There should be no further fuel flow. Remove the drain plugs on a couple float bowls to see if there is fuel in the bowls. There should be an aounce and a half to two ounces in each one. If there is only a trickle, then it is a fuel flow problem. There are only three possibilities. 1. faulty inline filter, 2. blocked petcock screen inside the fuel tank, faulty diaphram in the petcock.

Earl

Originally posted by jph1959
              I replaced the fuel line, and fuel filter when I first got the bike and pulled the tank off to inspect it. I can see the fuel flow, and it appears to be alright. Anymore thoughts are appreciated.

Thanx

John H
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Got a little brave

Well.. the new battery is in. I re-checked the fuel system. The tank does have a filter inside. All looked good. Re-checked all connections... etc etc. All looked good. I fired it up and it started right up... though I did hear it back fire for a bit "Maybe still have a problem... Coils were mentioned". After it warmed up, it sounded, and ran great.

Got brave... took it to the store and back without pushing it! Yeh! If it happens again... I'll have the coils checked.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanx

John H

Comment

Working...
                X