swapping gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swapping gauges

I need gauges for my 82 gs550 and have found several from different years close but none exactly the same model. Should there be any problem with going with another year's gauge? thanks

c.t.

swapping gauges (part II)

specifically....putting the instrument cluster off a 79 GS550 on my 82 GS550???

thanks.

jcurt2005

Comment

Re: swapping gauges (part II)

The 79 cluster should bolt right in without a problem. The wiring connectors could be different color codes and the plugs could be different, but it can work. I dont have a wiring diagram for either bike, so I cannot say what the changes in connection will be or even if there will be any changes. I would go for it. We out to be able to come up with a couple of wiring diagrams on this site if needed. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by jcurt2005
      specifically....putting the instrument cluster off a 79 GS550 on my 82 GS550???

thanks.

jcurt2005
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

I agree with Earl.

Here's a schematic of the 79 GS550, just in case:

Comment

Can't argue with that! Does anyone have schematics for the 82? I've order Clymer manual but not sure if it will have the schematics.

thanks for all the info.

Curt t.

Comment

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think the Clymer manual has the schematics.

Comment

Ok folks.....I got the new gauges and they work great! There were some slight wiring modifications that were not too serious. My old gauges had the oil and highbeam lights on the tach and the fuel gauge in the pilot box and the new set has the fuel in the tach and the warning lights on the pilot box (i prefer this way)....so the only changes were to move the oil/highbeam from the tach harness to the pilot box harness. Also, since the fuel gauge was moved to the tach there was an extra light circuit (that originally lit up the fuel gauge on the pilot box that was no longer needed.

One other point, the mount is different somewhat....my 82 mount, mounted from the top side and had studs built into the mount. the 79 mount has no studs and to get the proper placement needed to be mounted on the underside...so you need some bolts and large washers.

Over all, i would do it again!

c.t.

Comment

... another satisfied customer!

Glad it worked!

Comment

Working...
                X