Cruise Control for GS850GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Control for GS850GT

Does anyone know of a cruise control/ throttle lock that will work on a 1980 GS850G? I am doing quite a bit of riding on the interstate and need something that will allow me to relax my right arm now and then. I purchased a Vista-Cruise throttle lock that should work on the GS850 but it will not install as advertised. Any ideas before my right arm falls off?
    Thanks
    ,Terry

Re: Cruise Control for GS850GT

Originally posted by Terry South
    Any ideas before my right arm falls off?
    Thanks
    ,Terry
    This doesn't quite fit into "before" your arm falls off, mostly the opposite I'm afraid. But I was thinking that if your right arm does fall off you could probably fix it to the throttle at just the right angle and leave it there. Sort of poor man's cruise control, but Hey, it's worth a thought. :-)

Kim

Comment

I cursed the Vista Cruise as well.....it worked, but I couldn't set it with one hand; had to use one hand to hold the throttle and the other hand to push the lever up to set it .

I took it apart and turned the handle around, and found it did not like that position, as it popped apart as soon as I tried using it.

After cursing the thing a few times, I found that if the set-screw is adjusted so that when you push the lever down there is just barely enough pressure on the hand-grip to keep it from turning against the throttle spring, it works.

The lever now has a short throw and pushes down with my thumb (and releases the same way).
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

cruise

Gee, maybe you could put that arm on e-bay, I could use a cruise control/backscratcher. :roll:

Comment

Terrybird, I have been seeing a lot of this stuff about Zen and chains recently, so I just have to ask this:

Since the most important thing for any motorcyclist is to be observant of all that goes on around him/her, as you come to the end of a long trip, and you are able to truthfully say you saw everything and believe you achieved Zen, does that mean you were on a chain saw?
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Terrybird, I read your tag line about chains and Zen. I have been seeing a lot of this stuff about Zen and chains recently, so I just have to ask this:

Since the most important thing for any motorcyclist is to be observant of all that goes on around him/her, as you come to the end of a long trip, and you are able to truthfully say you saw everything and believe you achieved Zen, does that mean you were on a chain saw?

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
              I cursed the Vista Cruise as well.....it worked, but I couldn't set it with one hand; had to use one hand to hold the throttle and the other hand to push the lever up to set it .

I took it apart and turned the handle around, and found it did not like that position, as it popped apart as soon as I tried using it.

After cursing the thing a few times, I found that if the set-screw is adjusted so that when you push the lever down there is just barely enough pressure on the hand-grip to keep it from turning against the throttle spring, it works.

The lever now has a short throw and pushes down with my thumb (and releases the same way).
              I HAVE THROWN A COUPLE OF THOSE PLASTIC THROTTLE LOCK IN THE GARBAGE ALSO :x --I LUCKLY FOUND ONE AT THE BONE YARD THAT CAME OFF AN OLD GOLD WING . THE THING WAS ALL METAL AND CHROMED ALSO(LOUSY CHROME THOUGH)-WOW IT WORKS 8O 8O --JUST LUCKY ON THAT ONE

Comment

Chains and zen

I dunno, gas, I stole that bit of wisdom from Atilla. Just don't throw that arm in the trash. Geez is it hot or what ?

Comment

Thanks for all the tips on throttle locks / cruise controls! I initially tried a vista cruise that should have fit my GS850G but didn't. I have since returned it and am trying a universal fit vista cruise to see if it will work--hopefully it will. I am using my GS850G for commuting a couple of days a week on a 62 mile commute (one way!). It's 17 miles of good country roads and 45 miles of interstate which just begs for a throttle lock. Since injuring my back a few years ago it has become downright painful to hold my right arm on the throttle for an hour without really being able to move it around and give it some rest time. If this cruise won't work I guess I will start looking through the bone yards for an old metal one from an old Goldwing.
                  My 1980 GS850G is in the gallery--take a look at one great bike!

For now I've used duct tape to keep my arm from falling off!

Thanks,Terry

Comment

Terry...don't know if you have perused JC Whitney yet...seems as though they have a set of throttle grips listed for suzukis that have a built in control that will hold throttle open for cruising down the highway - around $7.00(us)...thought you might check it out....

Comment

by the way...was thinking of trying these out on my GS650GLX...let me know if you go that route...interested in knowing if those grips really work...

Comment

have you tried a "Throttle Rocker"? It's available at Aerostich-, not a true lock, but is easy on the hand

Comment

Finally! A Throttle lock that really works!!

After much experimentation, I finally installed a throttle lock that works as advertised on my GS850GT. The Vista-Cruise Universal Throttle Lock installs easily and after some adjustment and fine tuning works very well for highway travel. I found it on the internet for around $30 and it's worth every penny. It should fit any GS model. Really saves your right arm and shoulder if you have back problems! Thanks for the advise guys! Terry

Comment

Cruise Control for the GS850

Terry,
                            Thanks for the forum on cruise control devices. I have a 1982 GS850G, a great cycle but hard on the throttle hand especially when you have carpel tunnel issues, like I have. I currently use the "plastic" Vista Cruise to slow down the throttle return and a Throttle Rocker to "maintain" my speed. I wanted to look at the "universal vista cruise" but thought with the front brake lever and the "kill switch" on the right handle bars, there was no room to fit it in. How did you accomplish this with limited space.

Thanks, Daddy-O

Comment

Cruise control

I've been wanting to install a Vista-Cruise on my GK. Does it use the dual-cable, or the single-cable version? Please excuse my ignorance...

Comment

Working...
                              X