Need a little help here!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a little help here!!

Okay fellow GS'ers - the little glass viewer to detect my oil level in my GS650GLX-1981 is dark and I can't read the oil level....how do I clean it? or do I have to replace it? or What?....HELP!!!!

Boomer, I don't now about replacing it, If you could even still get one. I know that I cannot read mine unless It is outside and sunny.I suppose you could take off the cover and clean it, but you will probably have to replace gaskets and o-rings and all.

One of the wise ones will give you a better answer I am sure.

Michael

Comment

Thanx for the quick reply, Michael. It is a royal pain in the behind not to be able to check oil level!!!! I get concerned between oil changes-would hate to mess up the engine...

Comment

I have used those long Q-Tips that come on wooden sticks. I get them though electronics catalogs but I would imagine that CVS pharmacy might carry them too. Take the loose fuzz off the end and hold them with a pair of needle nosed pliers and that ought to do the trick if the crud is loose. If it isn't then you'll need to pop the cover and replace the gasket when you're done.

--- Frank ---

Comment

Thanks Frank, I'll try that option with the Q-tips first!

Comment

Originally posted by fperreault
            I have used those long Q-Tips that come on wooden sticks. I get them though electronics catalogs but I would imagine that CVS pharmacy might carry them too. Take the loose fuzz off the end and hold them with a pair of needle nosed pliers and that ought to do the trick if the crud is loose. If it isn't then you'll need to pop the cover and replace the gasket when you're done.

--- Frank ---
            Good Idea Frank...............Why don't they have a dipstick as a second option anyway

Comment

I had the exact same problem on my GS650GL. The glass was coated with a white gel, meaning there was probably some moisture in the engine at one time.
              I tried for an hour with different wires, rods and home-made probes and I wasn't able to clean the glass. Something was in the way.
              I suppose the cover will have to come off. I can still see the oil level but only in the perfect light at the right angle. annoying. :x

Comment

view window

I don't know about the engine oil windown but my brake master cylinder view window is a total loss The worst part of my 1100GZ. It is completely frosted over and craized. No way to see the brake fluid. I checked the level regulary with every oil change. I did buy a replacement Master Cylinder assembly for GS 1000 but it isn't a perfect swap. I don't know if i can replace the old with the new but will ask my mechanic this winter when I bring the bike in for winter service.
                Don't sweat it, just check the level every now and then.
                GY

Comment

oops

Oh yea, if you were talking about the engine oil view window, disregard the last part of my previous message. doesn't make much sence in that respect. Too bad someone doesn't make a dip stick for GSs.
                  GY

Comment

Re: view window

Originally posted by Gerryy
                    I don't know about the engine oil windown but my brake master cylinder view window is a total loss The worst part of my 1100GZ. It is completely frosted over and craized. No way to see the brake fluid. I checked the level regulary with every oil change. I did buy a replacement Master Cylinder assembly for GS 1000 but it isn't a perfect swap. I don't know if i can replace the old with the new but will ask my mechanic this winter when I bring the bike in for winter service.
                    GY
                    Gerry:

No argument that checking the brake fluid level is an essential requirement, but you should be aware that if you open the master cylinder frequently, you are exposing yourself to an unwanted possibility: having water in the brake system.

Unfortunately, brake fluid tends to attract water when exposed to moist/humid air. Every time you open the reservoir, there is a chance of some water absorption. Even it is a tiny amount, if you do this frequently, then eventually the absorbed droplets will band together and play the worst music, getting steamy hot, but missing every beat when you try to apply the brakes hard.
                    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
                      Originally posted by Gerryy
                      GY
                      Gerry:

No argument that checking the brake fluid level is an essential requirement, but you should be aware that if you open the master cylinder frequently, you are exposing yourself to an unwanted possibility: having water in the brake system.

Unfortunately, brake fluid tends to attract water when exposed to moist/humid air. Every time you open the reservoir, there is a chance of some water absorption. Even it is a tiny amount, if you do this frequently, then eventually the absorbed droplets will band together and play the worst music, getting steamy hot, but missing every beat when you try to apply the brakes hard.
                      The word your looking for here is hydroscopic, means that it readily absorbs moisture. If you insist on checking your brake fluid, do it at the beging of the season and leave it at that unless you notice a big puddle under one of the brake calipers. It isn't going to just disappear without some sort of eveidence that it has left your bike. Also, I highly recommend using one of those turkey basters that looks like an oversized eyedropper, and sucking all the fluid out of the master cylinders and then adding fresh fluid and bleeding the systems completly untill the fluid comes out clear. I do this every other season, and it will help keep your brakes in tip top
                      condition. The brake system is one of the most neglected systems on all motor vehicles yet it is, in my opinion, the most important system and one that could mean the difference between life and death.

Comment

Pull the cover ...

There really isn't a problem in reusing the gasket when you pull the clutch cover off. I grenaded my clutch basket and had the cover on and off about a dozen times this past year to clean and adjust evrything, and fix the screw ups I made along the way. I never replaced the gasket, and do NOT believe in the rtv sealant, it just makes a nasty mess. Just pull the cover off slow and carefull the first time.

Good luck!!

Comment

Gerry:

Unfortunately, brake fluid tends to attract water when exposed to moist/humid air. Every time you open the reservoir, there is a chance of some water absorption. Even it is a tiny amount, if you do this frequently, then eventually the absorbed droplets will band together and play the worst music, getting steamy hot, but missing every beat when you try to apply the brakes hard.[/quote]
                          The word your looking for here is hydroscopic, means that it readily absorbs moisture. If you insist on checking your brake fluid, do it at the beging of the season and leave it at that unless you notice a big puddle under one of the brake calipers. It isn't going to just disappear without some sort of eveidence that it has left your bike. Also, I highly recommend using one of those turkey basters that looks like an oversized eyedropper, and sucking all the fluid out of the master cylinders and then adding fresh fluid and bleeding the systems completly untill the fluid comes out clear. I do this every other season, and it will help keep your brakes in tip top condition. The brake system is one of the most neglected systems on all motor vehicles yet it is, in my opinion, the most important system and one that could mean the difference between life and death.[/quote]

Thanks for the advise guys.. I'll keep an eye on this. Maybe a good reason to get my view windown problem attended to.
                          Cheers,
                          GY

Comment

Working...
                          X