Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Gearing GS1150 and vibration

Running my Gs1150 I have a Vibration between 5000 - 6000 rpm
    through it everything is fine ( I here its not unusual )
    I was thinking if I went 2 teath up on the back sprocket would it move My vibration up the rev range and out of the normal gear change rpm
    arround town

Any help would be appreciated

Joe first things first. Lets see what we can do about the vibes first.
    1). in the front engine mounts there are rubber bushes, replace them!!!
    2). undo and re-torque all engine mounts!!!
    3). balance the carbs, precisely , near enough is NOT good enough!!!!
    4). look at your clutch plates,my 1150 recently developed a worse than normal vibration at highway speeds, it has turned out to be caused by warped steel plates, worn springs will also allow the clutch to slip and add to vibration.
    Dink

Comment

I'm with Dink. Do all you can to eliminate the vibration first. After that then try to move or hide the problem. If your bike vibrates between 5000 & 6000 rpm, changing the sprockets won't change that. If your bike runs 75 mph @ 5000 rpm in 5th gear, and it vibrates at that speed, go down about 3 teeth on the rear or up 1 tooth on the front. Now you can ride 75mph @ appx. 4600 rpm thus no vibes, but when you wind it up to 5000 to 6000 rpm the vibes will still be there. If you have any luck getting rid of the vibes, please post it here

Comment

the last Straw for me was actually losing the Needle off the speedo becouse of the vibration

Well Ive solved alot of the problem by installing rubber bushes on the headlight clocks and aftermarket fairing I changed the oil and fitted a new clutch cable, the clutch cable was more or less seized and due to the Drag bars I had fitted instead of the standard clipon type

The OEM clutch cable with the angled connector was causing the clutch to not return all the way as it should due to the new Bars

I fitted it with a standard GS 1000 clutch cable, ....solved

The after Market Fairing was close to the clocks (very Close) and though wasnt touching while on standard Idol it was Vibrating @ 5000rpm and vibrating Buzzing against the clocks
        I solved this by closing the gap between the clocks and the Fairing Screen by using some sticky backed Rubber 5mm thick ...sorted

when changing stuff on a bike one problem allways leads to another, the front brake Master Cylinder is in totaly at a cockeyed angle and needs to be replaced with a screw cap resivour (GSXR)type
        it still vibrates but not as bad and its not as audiable....

while riding I lost the right hand rubber foot peg grip
        and Im going to order the new rubber bushes tomorow

Comment

Working...
        X