Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850: Do the forks have to be stripped down to refill oil

Hi All,

I have a GS850 with air assisted front forks.

Can someone please tell me if I have to strip the whole front end and forks down to refill the forks with oil.

I assumed that you could just refill through the top of the fork but it appears im wrong.

What is the quickest and simplest way to refill the oil in the forks?

Many thanks for your help.

Mark

I don't have manual for the 850 but the proper way to do the fork oil is to remove the springs and measure the oil level with the fork fully compressed and vertical.

Comment

Just drain the forks by removing the little drain screws at the underside of the forks.

Refill with 251 cc's (GS850GN/GS850GT) or 302 cc's (GS850GTL) of fork oil. These are 1979/1980 types. If you have a later model, I'm not sure if these amounts are correct.

It would be better to take the forks apart, clean them and put some new seals in; if they're not leaking, it's not necessary though.

Comment

How to fill Air assisted front forks with oil (GS850GT)

Thanks for your responses,

On top of the fork, there is the valve to fill up with air but no place to fill
        the oil.

Do you have to remove the top which the valve for filling up the air sits on. If so what is the best way as there is only max 2mm to grip onto and I am concerned about damaging the chrome.

Comment

You have to take the whole cap off.

You have to take the whole cap off. On the center stand with the front end jacked up a little remove the caps. Use a 22mm open end or adjustable wrench. Put the wrench on opposite the air fitting or it will snap. The drain screw is at the bottom on the side.

If you don't know if the history of the fluid you might as well do a tear down and thurough cleaning. A fluid change would be ok, but you are sure to have some sludge in there.

Comment

Working...
          X