Swingarm interchangability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swingarm interchangability

There are several swingarms listed on E-Bay that state they will fit 78-83 750s, 1000s, and 1100s. ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1839059567 )

Is this correct? Seems a bit optimistic that the swingarm wouldn't have changed for 5 years.

Thanks.

It's just a big "U". You can even put a modern Swingarm on the old GS with a small amount of grinding.

Comment

How about without major machining?
      It's a tad more than just a big "U".

Comment

You're not quite right there T.
        The 750's have a smaller swing arm spindle than the 1000/1100's.
        It is possible to fit the bigger swing arms but you'd need to get bushes made with the smaller spindle i.d.
        The 80-82 1100 box section aluminium arm will go straight into a GS1000. I know several people who have done this.
        The same may be true of the 750's but there's no point as the later 750 (80-82 the first 16 valvers) had a v.similar tubular steel thing.
        In some cases you'll also get an issue with the arm fouling the pillion footrest loops. Also some of the lengths will cause problems -- longer shocks being necessary to maintain ride height and longer chains necessary.
        I speak from experience. I have an 8V GS750 with a GS1000 engine, 1085 Wiseco kit etc, etc. Currently I have a Metmachex arm fitted which was intended for a 80-82 GS(X) 750 16V. Spindle diameter is the same, width at frame end is same, internal width at wheel end is different, but same as GS1000. Pillion peg loops had to be removed from frame as arm too wide. Also adds 20mm to wheelbase(a good thing) but ride height is unchanged.
        I used to have a GS(X)1100 80-82 arm fitted. Had to get bushes made for smaller spindle, longer shocks were needed, longer chain and wheelbase about 50mm longer. I wasn't happy with the way the bike looked so I changed to the above.

I have seen lots of stuff on ebay where they say fits GS550-1100 but they're quite often wrong. Caveat emptor. (Which means "Never let your bollocks dangle in the dust". Probably.)

Checkout http://www.gs4.co.uk/home.html tech pages to see my bike.

Suzuki GS "Heat the Wind"

Comment

Working...
        X