I just picked up a Sylvania Halogen Xtra Vision Headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just picked up a Sylvania Halogen Xtra Vision Headlight

....last night on the way home to Chicago from a friends house all the way out on Hoffman Estates....I came out to the 77gs550 and my headlight bulb was burnt out.....:x ...... Actually, it was totally smashed on the inside.....did it pop or did I hit a pothole too hard? The bulb had shattered inside and was flopping around.

It was night time outside and the friggin' suburbs don't have proper street lamps (me city boy). It was also late and nowhere to go and get a bulb so I had to ride home in the dark......what an experience that was. I remember reading all of the posts about keeping a spare.......I know......I found a big truck on the freeway and stayed behind him. People were actually kind enough to tell me my light was out 8O ...and I had to explain that I knew........many times......... :x .

I was going to get the H4 upgrade from Dennis Kirk/Jc Whitney so I could simply carry around extra bulbs, much smaller than a spare sealed unit but I couldn't wait 3-4 days and no locals have it I checked with.

This sealed unit does not say its for a car or a motorcycle....I just put it in (still daylight) for a night ride home from work just now. It was the only sealed unit that matched mine at Auto Zone (my old one was dull as hell). Its a Sylvania Halogen Xtra Vision 12 volt 65/55. Guess I'll see how good it is in about 2 hours or so. Anybody else got one of these on their bikes and will it last?

I have heard of several people using automotive sealed beam lamps without any problems.
    It will be substantially brighter than your old incandescent bulb and may put out a pattern that is narrower due to being designed for a two light application (car/pickup)

your bulbed most likely popped,they do that sometimes, I have a fancy flashlight that uses a high pressure, high wattage krypton bulb.
    When it popped it sounded like a fire cracker going off!!

Comment

Automotive sealed beams are meant for car or truck use ONLY.

Yes, they will do the job for you in an emergency, but the beam pattern on the roadway is very different in a motorcycle unit, and if you will be doing any driving at all that is outside the best-illuminated parts of the city, you ABSOLUTELY must have one intended for a bike.

Your needs are quite different from a car and/or truck, and you MUST have the right light display on the road.

Better still, get one intended for a bike that accepts a replaceable H-4 bulb.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

isn't that H4 conversion quite expensive?

Comment

call up milwaukee cycle supply salvage 1-800-359-6014. see if they have any headlight units from a 81 to a i don't know maybe 84 gs bike. make sure its the round lamp duh and just ask to buy the lens from them, i think it would just fit right into your lamp. i know my bike has the h4 bulb, so it is easy to replace. i was at this place in early spring and they had a couple gs they were parting.

ryan
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Good idea, milwaukee will get a call......thanks. The kit is just under 50 I think so the salvage yard is a lot more attractive. The new light got tested out last night and WOW!.......... 8O Its soo much brighter than my old sealed. I think the switch which toggles between the brights and normal is reversed....? .....the normal setting seems to be hotter than the brights setting. No matter, let there be light! 8)....for now.......I had to adjust the beam because people were getting blasted in their rear view mirrors.......

Comment

Working...
            X