change 850 glz to 1000??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

change 850 glz to 1000??

The 850 glz (shafty '82) of my wife needs a rebuild and I've got a spare 1000 (chain&sprockets GS 1000 '79) engine on the shelf.
    The obvious question is: Is it possible to exchange pistons and cilinders (and crank perhaps?) to transform her bike into a real trafficlight racer or is it to much work to do yourself.
    I've done multiple engine rebuilds but never attempted to build two different engines together, any experience around??

Please advise, she's driving me nuts. :mrgreen:

Advice: Get a babysitter for the night. Take the wife out to a nice dinner and then maybe a movie. Then, when you get home.... oh, you mean advice about the engine rebuild!! Sorry, dunno.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks for your great advise!
      We just came back from a 3 week holiday trip through the Alps on our bikes and we've been dining and wining every evening so that station has been passed unfortiunately.
      Thanks anyway.

Comment

I'm a big help, aren't I? Seriously though, why don't you just look for a '79 chain driven rolling chassis? I know that here in the states you could probably hunt one down for around $200. I'm not sure, but I can't imagine the 850 crankcase will accept the crank and barrels.
        Currently bikeless
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I was thinking more of looking for a shaft driven engine to fit this bike, my wife really loves her shaft. (mmmm I think I should refrase that.... )
          Let's put it this way; I don't want to have another chain to look after.
          Is there perhaps a way to fit the outgoing axle of the gearbox and turn this sprocket engine into a shaft engine?
          I can't imagine that I'm the first one here with such a problem.

Comment

I've heard of people contemplating such a conversion, but never heard of one being done. Do a search on old posts, then PM the people that were involved.
            Currently bikeless

Comment

I doubt that it would be that easy, as the 850 was based on the 750.

Comment

Working...
              X