1983 gs550L Starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs550L Starting problem

I have a 83 Gs550L, and it doesn't want to start properly. I am leaning toward coils or an ignitor, because It starts just fine if I hook it up to an external source. I mean, it will crank and crank on its battery for 1 or 2 minutes (not at once, I mean for 10-15 seconds about 6 times), but not start. If I hook up a charger on "starting" setting, or jumper cables, it starts right up and runs fine. also, after it has been running for about an hour or two, it starts running rough and missing under power. could these problem be related, or do you think I have 2 problems? I have recently replaced the regulator rectifier because it was still the original one and the wires coming out of it broke right at the case of the module.

Have you checked your battery voltage? Should be about 12.5 with the engine off and about 14.5 with the engine running at 5000rpm. It sounds as if the battery may be low.

Comment

Yeah, I checked that this afternoon, and I think the regulator ground is bad. I'm going to cut the wire and run it straight to the battery tomorrow. Blasted electrical gremlins

Comment

UPDATE:
        Cured my bad ground by soldering the small wire that goes to the battery terminal. Also, found the fuse blck connector and fuse blades for the "main" charging fuse were corroded. cleaned all connections, charged the battery and !VOILA! 14.3 volts at 5000 RPM

Comment

Working...
        X