can i cook a battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i cook a battery?

my gs750e has just stopped holding charge and when i pulled the battery it was dry. it is a month old battery and it was empty. can the bike be overcharging and if so how can i check and fix?

Re: can i cook a battery?

Originally posted by katt68
    my gs750e has just stopped holding charge and when i pulled the battery it was dry. it is a month old battery and it was empty. can the bike be overcharging and if so how can i check and fix?
    Yes you can overcharge a battery. Try to fill it with distilled water and then charge it on a low amp charger 1-2 amps for several hours. If it holds a charge, start your bike and with engine running check DC voltage at the battery. If in excess of 13-14.5 VDC then your reg/rect is probably dead.

Comment

When I cook a battery, I use a butter sauce and baste it for about three hours at 300 degrees. It does not taste as tough then! I have heard of some folks who prefer a tomato based barbecue sauce...hmmmmm...sounds tasty!

Hap
      Pass the Marvel Mystery Oil, please!

Comment

Cooking a battery

I put mine on a spitt over coals on the grille. Under it I place a pan of BBQ sauce mixed with beer and 10W40. The 10W40 cuts the acidic taste.

Comment

I put mine on a spitt over coals on the grille. Under it I place a pan of BBQ sauce mixed with beer and 10W40. The 10W40 cuts the acidic taste.

That 10W40.... Synthetic or Mineral?

Comment

Oil

Originally posted by TotalSNAFU

That 10W40.... Synthetic or Mineral?

Mineral...Synthetic makes it slide paste your taste buds too fast.

Comment

ok guys i get the hint, can i overcharge my battery?

i am looking for info on what is going on with my bike. she dried out the battery once already. with her running i read about 13 volts and climbing, it climbs up to about 14 volts on idle, when i rev her it climbs a bit more but does not drop off. could it be the rectifier/regulator? stator? how do i find out?

Comment

Battery

You said it was a month old. Did you put a full charge on it when you originally installed it?

Comment

yes it was charged up, plus running off of the bike.

Comment

sounds like the voltage regulator to me. There's no other way a charged month old battery should be dried out.

Comment

Refill the battery with distilled water (not electrolyte). Let it sit for a couple of hours. Check the level again and add more water if necessary. Put it on a trickle charger if you have one available and charge it back up (the slower the trickle rate, the better). If not, put the battery back in the bike and jump-start it. Once it is running check the voltage across the terminals. Have someone rev the motor to about 5000 RPM. It should be around 14 to 15.5 volts initially charging. If it is above 15.5 V or below 14V you have a bad regulator.

It sounds like you burned out the regulator control transistors...you will need to get a new regulator. The best is the Electrex model and I am not saying that because they sponsor this site...I am saying that because it is a fact.

Sorry about the joking...electrical problems can be frustrating!

Hap

Comment

One other thing...the battery may or may not survive having been dried out. If it does take a decent charge back, the life of the battery will still be reduced somewhat. If you add electrolyte instead of water it will not recover!

Hap

Comment

My bike charges at 18volts...that was enough to boil my battery dry.

Steve (sitting around the house for the whole long weekend because he needs a new regulator )

Comment

Working...
                          X