Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires, help please

Hi All
    Just looking to find out what you guys think of tires. It seems Metz are the popular ones, but as I am not endowed with vast amounts of cash, maybe you have some other budget wise suggestions? I am currently riding weather rotted tires on my GS400. Avon Super Venom on back and a Cheng Shin Hi Max on front. In case it'll help the back is a 110/90-18 and the front a 90/90-18. Cheng Shins are dirt cheap, so I figured quality would be simliar. I thought I had both Avons, until this afternoon when I got on my knees and saw the front was a CS, surprise surprise. I've been told to avoid Kenda as they fall apart from the inside out, any suggestions?

I've had Cheng Shins on different bikes, and they seem to be a solid value for the money. When I bought this bike, it had a Kenda on the rear which was good for about 10k miles, and actually grabbed fairly well.

I'm going to throw a pair of Avons on the bike in the next week or so - mainly to keep it streetable until I tear it down in a few months.

http://www.dtmaonline.com/amazing/items.asp?CartId={BC48CC7E-92DB-4F42-BAED-D6D9A116C482}&Cc=AVONAM52AM51&Tp=

I'd say it just depends on your pocket book. No matter what anyone says about the pros and cons of a given tire, a cheap tire with alot of tread is far better than a bald premium tire any day.

-Q!

Comment

I have no idea of your riding experience Barry. If you are an experienced rider, go with it as you wish, but if it is in the line of beginner, then I would not consider C-S, or ANY cheap tire.

I get myself in deep doo doo over this, but I have no problem asking people what are the two most important safety features on their bikes.....then stand and tell them, straight-faced, that both items are round and black.

Your bike is a piece of fast-moving metal that is totally dependent on its tires for any and every action of any kind. You have no brakes, no steering and no power on the road if the tires are no good. Ever notice the word tire is contained in the word entirely?

Your life depends entirely on your tires.

Buy what you value your life at.

Metzelers, Dunlops and Michelins are available from Ron Ayers Motorsports at VERY reasonable prices.

I have NO experience with C-S tires, but I learned the lesson of buying cheap a long time ago.

I bought cheap tires for my car (Canadian Tire...their best line). They provided about half the traction that my well-worn Dunlops were still giving on dry roads, and much less than that on wet roads..
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I have experience with C-S tires, on a couple of bikes. I have used the Hi-Max and found it OK. Dry grip was good, and wet was OK, very comparable to the AVON I replaced. Wear can be and issue though. The fronts last well, but the backs get a little bald quickly.

Comment

there's an extensive tire discussion here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...pic.php?t=7243 in the Performance Mod's forum.

Comment

Barry, I just replaced the rear C-S. The Front will be in another month. Couple of points. I can't speak to how much you invest, and it is an investment. My 1100GK had the Cheng Shin Hi Max's on when I got her last year. I noticed they had a tendency to slide when cornering. I'm not a speed demon, but it was kinda unnerving. That didn't change when the weather warmed up. I got roughly 6000 miles off that tire. OnOffroad.com had the best tire prices I could find. Since I put almost 20K on Suzi a year, I went ahead and upgraded to the Dunlop K491. The rear, delivered to the house was under $100. The ride was instantly better. I'll probably go with Dunlop up front too. But as far as price, if I buy a C-S every 6000, and a Dunlop every 10-14K I'm ahead with the Dunlop since I have a lot more traction, therefore peace of mind. Best of luck with shopping, Jerry

Comment

Agree with argonsagas

There's allot of really good tires out there. I guess you have to think about what kinda riding you do. For me... I beat around town, and if I see rain... I run for home, and even though my GS1100 wants to run fast... I don't. So I can get by with an average good quality tire.

And if you got someone on the back... it's really a no brainer. I always figured if I wanted to take chances with my life... that's one thing. But I don't want to take anyone with me.

Hope this helps...

John H

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys. I totally agree with tires being the most important part of my motorbike, or anyones for that matter. And I totally agree with the passenger comment. I think I'll go with some medium quality tires, no need to pay $300 a piece for me, I don't have that much cash. Thanks again all.

Now if any of you could seel me a set of pipes I'd be forever grateful.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Rivers-Bowerman
                  I think I'll go with some medium quality tires, no need to pay $300 a piece for me, I don't have that much cash. Thanks again all.

Barry

Barry......Please take a look at Ron Ayers Motors before you do anything else. Tire prices in Canada are stupidly high, with so many middlemen taking a share. Metzeler 550 130/90/16 is tagged at over $300, as you said.

Honda Suzuki Kawasaki Yamaha OEM motorcycle atv and side by side parts with a full line of aftermarket accessories.

They have an arrangement with Fed-Ex for shipping tires: $8. inside US of A and $16. to Canada.

As I write this my son brought a box downstairs.....it contains my nice, new Metzeler 550 130/90/16.

Fed-Ex got the tire here with zero extra charges in duty or taxes. and they did not charge any handling fees.

Boy, is this different from the professional thieves at UPS who have invariably stuck me for extra handling fees and duty. Even when the value was only $10. and exempt from all duty and taxes.....UPS charged me $40 extra.

With Fed-Ex total cost including shipping is $US98... roughly CA$140, delivered to my door.
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks
                    Checking it out again, I did earlier, but shipping from the states scared me away. I've had bad experiences with UPS and don't wish to deal with them. But if you say that Fed-Ex does a good job then I'll defineatly look into it.

Ok, I feel stupid buying a front tire that's H rated and a rear tire that's V rated, anyone else feel like that?

Does Metzeler make a bad tire?

Barry

Comment

I find some of the tyre prices you guys mention as being quite high.

In Australia, last ME33 110/80-18 I put on the front was A$145 fitted (US$95), back tyre GT301 Dunlop Arrowmax A$175 (US$113) fitted.

ME33 is a great road tyre, wet or dry, hot or cold. Lasting well too. GT301 sticks, but life is going to be a bit short perhaps...

Comment

I agree completely with Argonsagas. I was in your position a few weeks ago - I had 15yo Pirelli Phantoms on my bike and knew that I needed new tires. I thought about going with CS's or something in that price range but quickly decided that I owed it to my kids to not skimp on something that is so important. I wound up getting a Metzeler laser and metronic for the front ($100) and rear($125) from the local repair shop (Dougs motorcycle repair in san mateo). The way I see it I at least have peace of mind and perhaps a "get out of accident free" card for the price of a meal in a nice restaurant or a nite of drinking and stuffing tips in g-strings (women's).

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                        X