Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to Downshift??

Hey guys, tried a search, couldn't find this one asked before:

I'm running into a problem every so often where my bike ('78 Suzuki GS1000) is very difficult to down shift. It doesn't happen very often and I've typically seen it when I am braking and don't downshift until late (almost stopped). I did however also run into this today when stopped at a light. I put the bike in neutral so I could take my hand off the clutch for a second. When I grabbed the clutch again and tried to put her back in first gear, she wouldn't go. I ended up having to kick it down pretty hard to get it back in first gear.

Now, I've not yet checked the clutch cable tension (other than the play at the lever on the handlebar), I plan to do that this weekend. Any thoughts on if this might be clutch related or something else? Like I said, happens only very rarely, but it's kinda scarey when it does cuz it could get me stranded in the middle of the road (not cool). I appreciate any advice or insight you can offer.

Later,
    -T

I'd definitely check the clutch adjustment. Another thing you might want to check is your oil level - my bike shifted a bit hard when I first got it - it turned out to be low on oil....

-Q!

Comment

Does the clutch slip at all when you really get on it?
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have this problem too (even with a properly adjusted clutch cable and proper oil level). It seems many others have this problem as well - see http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...338&highlight=.
        In most cases, I just give it a blip of throttle, then clutch it and shift into gear. In some cases, I have to rock the bike back and forth a bit (it seems the bike needs to be moving in some cases).
        I just don't want to tear down the engine to research a possible bent shift fork situation, because it seems that it may not be that at all. It seems (from other posts on this forum) that there is a wide range of possible sources for this problem (besides the bent shift fork).

Comment

Working...
        X