Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My tires are from 1977, I need a little advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My tires are from 1977, I need a little advice...

.....read all of the posts about tires and did some R&D. Tomorrow I want to either pick up in the Chicagoland area (any suggestions) or order online some new tires. My 77gs550 has spokes and tubes, guess I'll need tubes too. People have directed me here:

http://www.discountmotorcycletire.com or http://www.motorcycletireplanet.com

I am going with the Metzeler 330 and 550 combo but am not sure about the best new size. Old tires from 1977 say on them:

front: 3.25 H19 - Mag Mopus 02

rear: 3.75 H18 - S21 R2 Super Speed

Both are Bridgestones.

Sooooo......front reads 19? then the ME330 FRONT 100/90V18 won't fit?
    I don't see a ME330 FRONT 100/90V19 or am I off? ......It has to be 19 right?

...rear reads 18 so would a ME550 REAR 130/70H18 fit?
    ...or a ME550 REAR 140/70H18?

Is there a difference between tubes, anybody got them?

My tires have dry rot and I don't want to order the wrong tires!.......
    .........HELP PLEASE!!!!!!! -D

The last number is your wheel size, same as a car. Your front tire is 19" so no you can't put an 18" tire up there. A 3.25" is equivelent to a metric 90 and the 3.75 is equivelent to a metric 100. You can safely go up one size in the front and two in the rear. Stay away from the low profile tires when using a tube and spoked rims. Stay with a 90 series for stock size and 80 series with oversized.
    Metzler makes the ME 33 in in the right front sizes and the ME 55A for the rear.

Comment

Someone posted this site for tire (tyre) information. Check it out for lots of info.

Welcome to the official website of Continental Bicycle Tyres in the UK, with all the latest product information and news for the brand.

Terry

Comment

Excellent info, many and multiple thanks. After further review, it looks like:

Front: 3.25 - 19 54V TL ME33 Laser $82.95

Rear: 120/90-18 65V TL ME55 A $98.95

$21.00 shipping, should get them tues/wed.

I think I got a good deal: www.motorcyclespecialties.com

....no more 26 year old tires.......yeah 8O

anybody have these tires on their bike now? Will I see a big performance increase?

Comment

....come on wise old men 8O , I know you like to talk tires......tell me I got a great deal and that those tires will make a new machine out of my bike...... :roll:

Comment

I run those Metzlers and you will see an improvement in handling, traction, and tracking. They are excellent in the rain although, there is still a limit and you can slide them if you like. :-) As for performance as in acceleration, there will be no difference. Braking will also be improved.

Earl

Originally posted by 77gs550

anybody have these tires on their bike now? Will I see a big performance increase?
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

New tires makes the bike feel brand new. Soooooo smooooth. I also like that noise of soft new tires humming on the pavement.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

would it be wrong to change the tires and then put it away for the winter guys? ...i'm considering doing that this year...of course i would ride it some before it gets put away...but is it okay to do that?

also, can someone verify the GS550 spoke rim as being the same width as the mag wheel? i would assume them to be equal...

~Adam

Comment

i would wait 1 month before good weather then get the tires, that will buy you a couple months more of newwer rubber from the factory, and this way you can just park your bike for the winter and not care/worry about the old tires getting flat spots. where i will have to block up my bike so neither tire touches the ground.

ryan
                  78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x
                  10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

i want to be able to just pull the bike out in the spring and RIDE.

Comment

Tire care for winter:

Put the bike on centre stand, then pivot it forward just enough to relieve pressure from the rear, or get the rear tire off the ground. Block the bike securely in that position. Release pressure in the tires....drop it to about or just under 20 psi.

Spring...pump up the tires and go. If you don't have a hand pump, (you should get one,) 20 psi will allow you to drive safely to a garage to get air.

Metzeler is discontinuing the ME33/ME55 line.

A new line is the ME330 and ME550.

The Metzeler site always showed the ME33/ME55 as being great for older superbikes, but it only shows the 330/550 as being good for medium size bikes.

I wrote to Metzeler to ask about this and they confirmed the new line is a direct replacement, and they are good for the 1100, as well as lighter bikes. I have a ME33 front and ME550 rear on my GK. Excellent tires, with only one reservation....Make sure you check the pressures regularly.

Mine were checked before I left home, but I did not check it the following morning, when I resumed the trip. Somehow the rear (which was new) lost a few pounds while I was travelling on the first day, and it told me so when it allowed a bit of a twitch in a crosswind on the second day.

Since then it has been fine.
                      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
                        i would wait 1 month before good weather then get the tires, that will buy you a couple months more of newwer rubber from the factory, and this way you can just park your bike for the winter and not care/worry about the old tires getting flat spots. where i will have to block up my bike so neither tire touches the ground.

ryan
                        .........or just roll it or move it once a week. Your tires won't get flat. Put it on the friggin' CENTERSTAND! Rear wheel is off the ground already and front is barely touching. Just spin the front a few times.

First Timer, nice avatar....... 8O

Comment

i wish i could work on the bike in the winter guys...but its going to be buried in a shed with a sheet over it...so working on it isn't an option.

argonas...do you run tubes in yours?

~Adam

Comment

77gs550, the tires you picked sound fine but you are paying more for the "V" rating. The "H" rating, (if they come that way) will cost less.
                            The difference is the speed they are designed to operate safely at.
                            An "H" rating I believe is rated for 108 or 112 mph. The "V" rated is higher. Do you intend to go that fast?
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The best winter advice is to ride the bike..better than storage! Those freezing days are a bit of a pain....

Don't know about this sliding tyres in the rain tho........

Comment

Working...
                              X