No announcement yet.

Low power and torque at low rpm on GS550 E -82

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i wasn't even born yet when my bike was made.

Comment

first timer, I first read about cam timing in the Dec.'84 issue of Motorcyclist magazine. They built a '79 GS1000 project bike and I wanted to build mine just like it. One of the mod's they made was to set the cams timing to 106 degrees. I have always respected their advice and they gave several reasons why this should be done. I have heard many others(mechanics/other owners) agree with this over the years. This is a good "mod" for stock or modified DOHC motors.
      Of course, there is a chance your cams are already set at 106, but they probably are not. You would need to have it checked first. You need a degree wheel, a top dead center tool,(2 stroke timing set)basic tools and a factory shop manual. Motorcyclist used a rat-tailed file to slot the cam bolt holes. As of 3 1/2 years ago, Vance& Hines sold me the slotted sprockets. Maybe you can still find some or just file yours.
      The Oct. '80 issue of Motorcyclist had a "how to" article on cam timing.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Keith, if 106 is supposed to be good...i'm just curious what the cam timing is set to from the factory?

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
          Keith, if 106 is supposed to be good...i'm just curious what the cam timing is set to from the factory?
          The early GS's came from the factory with cam timing set anywhere between 100 to 115+ degrees. I guess manufacturers, at least back then, had a lot of difficulty holding the timing to an exact setting. Maybe assembly line time tables had something to do with it? This wide range of settings was the main reason for differences in performance between 2 identical bikes right off the floor.
          It's possible your bike was timed at 106 or close, but the odd's are it is'nt.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks for all your answers

I was a litle bit lazy and thougt that I wait untit winter to start fixing it. Meanwhile the temp dropped a lot and at 0-5 degrees C the bike runs perfektly well. Colder air means more oxygen. I now thing carb setting is a little rich (for normal weather). How do i fix that? Something with a needle? It?s a big step for me to dismantle the carbs (all four of them) since im used to one carb. Do I have to sync them afterwards?

And AOD, where did you get your motor spoiler. It looks great.

Comment

Working...
            X