Wheel Balancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel Balancing

Can you take bike wheels to a local garage to have them balanced?
    or do they have to go to a motorcycle shop?
    John.

No,

You are not needing to take your motorcycle wheels to a bike shop to have the wheels balanced. My brother Gnaht (Bless his Dear Soul) and I were able to balance the tires on his motorcycle without the need of any tire shop.

All you are needing is two tire irons, an air pump, some duct tape and some chicken wire. With these supplies you can be doing the balancing without outside help. This was a trick taught us by our dear Father, who is currently incarcerated (but he was framed and not guilty). Gnaht had written down the exact instructions and procedures somewhere. I will search for them and upon finding them, I will have them sent to you using email.

Meskito

Comment

Thanks Gnaht.... i'll look forward to the information arriving by e-mail
      John.

Comment

Re: Wheel Balancing

Originally posted by wrench
        Can you take bike wheels to a local garage to have them balanced?
        or do they have to go to a motorcycle shop?
        John.
        Or you can do them yourself if your so inclined. After selecting the following link, Scroll down for info on balancing your tires/wheels. The author uses a homemade balancing stand, I use jack stands. I've use this method on street and roadrace bikes running in access of 150mph with no problems. http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html

Comment

Oh geez, here we go...
          To be a little more serious... most auto garages won't be able to balance motorcycle wheels, but you don't have to take them to a shop to do it (but it's probably a good idea to have them speed balanced).
          You can do a static balance with a bubble balancer, though you have to make sure the hub is centered.
          You can also balance by placing the wheel and axle in a fixture, and spinning the wheel. Mark the low point after it stops and spin it again. If it stops in the same spot, place some weight at the top of the wheel and spin it again. Eventually, it shouldn't stop in the same spot everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeckler
            Oh geez, here we go...
            To be a little more serious... most auto garages won't be able to balance motorcycle wheels, but you don't have to take them to a shop to do it (but it's probably a good idea to have them speed balanced).
            You can do a static balance with a bubble balancer, though you have to make sure the hub is centered.
            You can also balance by placing the wheel and axle in a fixture, and spinning the wheel. Mark the low point after it stops and spin it again. If it stops in the same spot, place some weight at the top of the wheel and spin it again. Eventually, it shouldn't stop in the same spot everytime.
            Thanks guys,
            Andy were do you get the weights and do the come different size's?
            John.

Comment

Wrench there was a topic on this where Billy Ricks explained exactly how to do it and it is a very simple procedure. Basically what it is you get two equal size 2x4's and set them up with a third one as the bottom so that they form a U (I would cut a V notch in the top of each of the 2X4's) then all you do is place the axel through the wheel and place it on top of the 2X4's the heavy spot on the tire will naturally go to the bottom, place a small weight 180 degrees from it. Then turn the wheel 1/4 turn to see if it is enough. Here is a link to the old posts http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...tire+balancing

Comment

You could get the stick on weights from somewhere like NAPA, I would guess.

Comment

Oh geez, here we go...
                  - said the Jeckler

Please Mr. Wrench, do not be taking this guy seriously. This is the person responsible for having made sacriligeous jokes about the King of Pop, and claiming to be able to see him in his drain disposal!!! Do you want to be putting your life in this man's hands? :roll: :roll: You should be going down to your hardware store and purchasing the duct tape and chicken wire and be awaiting my instructions.

Meskito

Comment

Comment

I'd trust Andy before i would trust a Tit Head like you :twisted:
                      John.

Comment

Originally posted by GNAHT-2
                        No,

You are not needing to take your motorcycle wheels to a bike shop to have the wheels balanced. My brother Gnaht (Bless his Dear Soul) and I were able to balance the tires on his motorcycle without the need of any tire shop.

All you are needing is two tire irons, an air pump, some duct tape and some chicken wire. With these supplies you can be doing the balancing without outside help. This was a trick taught us by our dear Father, who is currently incarcerated (but he was framed and not guilty). Gnaht had written down the exact instructions and procedures somewhere. I will search for them and upon finding them, I will have them sent to you using email.

Meskito
                        I seem to remember this technique is had to do with putting Shiva in opposition to Vishnu determining who exerted the most force on the wheel and then duct taping Brahma to the wheel to bring the powers back into balance.

Of course the rides Karmic balance must be considered as well to achieve the final state of balance necessary before attempting to ride the motorcycle.

Mike

Comment

My thoughts exactly Mike :roll:
                          John.

Comment

John.
                            John really that is not very polite I would have called him something far worse than that :twisted:

Tithead indeed

Comment

Originally posted by WifeofDink
                              John.
                              John really that is not very polite I would have called him something far worse than that :twisted:

Tithead indeed
                              What like d@%khead 8O
                              John.

Comment

Working...
                              X