No announcement yet.

Best way to break in new tires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, Earl. Leaning the bike is what you get to do so often on those beautiful, curvy mountain roads in Florida.

Nick

Comment

I lean the bike enough to go off the edge at the back in normal riding...so I suppose if you have to specially scrub in new tyres some of you guys must be really radical!

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
        Originally posted by Jus850
        I havent tried this but i think it will work ok. Its kinda like a pottery wheel approach. On the center stand put the bike in gear and let the rear wheel spin. Get some fine sand paper, sit behind the bike, hold the sandpaper in place and proceed to move left/right to get an even scuff across the tire.
        Ive been consitering trying it out on the edges i cant reach by my limited cornering abilities. So when i do get out there on the tire it will be nice and scuffed for some added traction and no suprises!

Dont forget to hold your open mouth, hold it close to the exhaust, and breath deeply and rapidly. Sounds like a really quick way to get high....or die.

If you want to mount the tire on the bike and turn it, be sure to do so when the engine is NOT running.

Do it by hand!

Why is there a temptation here to say something about marriage? :?
        By hand or on idle as long as you dont do it a closed garage its fine. btw thats not how you get high is it? there are much more fun and interesting ways to do that. If you need any tips dont be afraid to ask.

Comment

The front I wash, use paint thinner... and have been known to use sand paper.

The rear gets blazed... while laying it side to side.

Jim

Comment

I would be hesitant to use any liquid chemicals and as much as I pay for new rubber, I don't know if I want to sand them down. All jokes aside, I have always just ridden them in-and no, I do not purposely seek out gravel roads to get my bike and boots filthy. I never change both at the same time, if replacing both I stagger them about 100 miles apart, so you only break in one at a time. Easy riding with moderate lean angles for app. 50 miles is all it takes. Just put a new set of Dunlop 208ZR's on the TL1000 and at $260 a set I am going squeeze these puppies for all they are worth. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

On Tires.....

I'm with Nick and Earl. I've always just ridden them easily for the first 100 miles or so. Have only had one set slide on me and that was my own fault going into a corner just a little too quickly 8O Having said that, I'm glad I read this thread as I'd never given the mold release agent a thought, much less EVER had any dealer inform me of it. Thanks guys. Bob

Comment

:-) :-) :-) Well Nick, I'll concede there are few :-) mountain roads in south Fl. However, I do know where all the winding roads are for 200 miles in any direction. heh heh You might be surprised how much tread wear I get on the sides of the tires. :-) If you'll promise not to scream too much, I might let you ride pillion sometime. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                Yeah, Earl. Leaning the bike is what you get to do so often on those beautiful, curvy mountain roads in Florida.

Nick
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed
                  Just put a new set of Dunlop 208ZR's on the TL1000 and at $260 a set I am going squeeze these puppies for all they are worth.
                  I have a 208 on the front and love it. I had a 204 Sportmax race compound and the 208 is so much better. I have a British built D364 on the rear that was a Daytona qualifier I got from a friend some years ago. I doubt I'll see as big of a difference at the rear.

Comment

Working...
                  X