Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Permatex 'Gasket Maker' and similar: Any experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permatex 'Gasket Maker' and similar: Any experience?

I just FINALLY finished my engine rebuild. Went to put the valve-cover back on and discovered that... Ron Ayers sent me the wrong valve-cover gasket...

Nothing against RA (they've been very good with prices & cust service), but the holes didn't line up...

The thing is, after a summer of wrench turning, and it, I want to GET OUT AND RIDE (and being in Milwaukee, the swarms of Harleys buzzing around over the last few weeks (HD loves to throw itself birthday parties. As the 100th, this is supposed to be 'The Big One', and in some cases there are more bikes than cars on the freeway right now) further remind me that I have a bike I haven't ridden all summer...)!

So I'm thinking...

'Gasket Maker' costs around $5/tube, so while I'm waiting to get the 'send-me-the-right-gasket' issue taken care of, why not use some of this stuff to get my valve cover sealed up, then scrape it off when I get 'the real thing'...

Anyone have any experience with this stuff???

Any reccommendation

Check out the gasket thread in the product reviews section.

Good luck.

Satch

Comment

Originally posted by satchmo
      Check out the gasket thread in the product reviews section.

Good luck.

Satch
      I see that, but i'm looking for info on the gasket-in-a-tube type products... Something I can get from my local auto-parts store, an 'in-place gasket-maker' type chemical...

Comment

I know you want to ride, but putting that much gasket maker on the cover could be a mistake. When you tighten it down, some of that might get in the engine and may clog up an oil passage or two. I would wait for a new gasket and do the job right.
        Sorry, I know this is'nt what you wanted to hear.
        PS: I've never worked with that stuff, maybe it's not as bad as I imagine.
        But I would still wait.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

You can use it(permatex gasket maker), but as mentioned if used too liberally it can squeeze out to the inside of your engine and could cause porblems with blocking of oil passages. As in your case I've used it before successfully then the next time I removed the cover installed the correct gasket...follow the instructions, especially the part about letting it begin to set up(skim over) before installing the cover. Good luck.

Comment

It's hard to get a good seal on the cam cover at the best of times, and it's true that gasket cement goes everywhere in the engine that you don't need it, especially when you use it heavy. The most dangerous place it can end up is in the cam journal oilways. Much safer idea: Cut the gasket from a cereal box or similar cardboard and grease it before fitting. If you manage to cut it out in one piece you may not need to replace it at all. Takes a bit of time to do, but it's got me out of a few situations in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
              I know you want to ride, but putting that much gasket maker on the cover could be a mistake. When you tighten it down, some of that might get in the engine and may clog up an oil passage or two. I would wait for a new gasket and do the job right.
              Sorry, I know this is'nt what you wanted to hear.
              PS: I've never worked with that stuff, maybe it's not as bad as I imagine.
              But I would still wait.
              I've used Silastic (Dow Corning) gasket in a tube stuff with no problems. You have to use these products sparingly as per instructions. Your instinct will scream at you to put a bit extra on which is bad news. As long as the surfaces are OK it will work just fine.

The hardest part is spending time to prepare surfaces and remove old gasket.

Comment

I say use it, but yes as everyone else has mentioned sparingly. I had a gasket blow on me when I was in the middle of nowhere Alaska and luckily I carried some permatex with me at al times there. It worked well, but i caution it is only a temporary fix. But if done well it will not damage the engine. Keep the goop on the outside portion of the motor to be cautious. And if you don't get a perfect seal well just carry oil.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
                Ernest Hemingway (1899 - 1961) :twisted:

Comment

I see that, but i'm looking for info on the gasket-in-a-tube type products... Something I can get from my local auto-parts store, an 'in-place gasket-maker' type chemical..
                  You're right.....sorry....missread the original post.

Satch

Comment

Is it out of the question to cut your own gasket from gasket material?? I did just that when replacing my stator and it sealed beautifully. I'm always afraid that the permatex stuff will clog the oil passages and ruin the motor.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
                      It's hard to get a good seal on the cam cover at the best of times, and it's true that gasket cement goes everywhere in the engine that you don't need it, especially when you use it heavy. The most dangerous place it can end up is in the cam journal oilways. Much safer idea: Cut the gasket from a cereal box or similar cardboard and grease it before fitting. If you manage to cut it out in one piece you may not need to replace it at all. Takes a bit of time to do, but it's got me out of a few situations in the past.
                      Man thats a really old tip my Dad taught me .. never had a leak once doing the above, i used a small rubber mallet on one of the mating surfaces, ie lightly oil or grease the cardboard place it to one of the mating surfaces and gently tap around the edges, in minutes you have a really good gasket no cutting required except for screw or bolt holes,
                      John.

Comment

I have only ever used gasket cement etc on old gaskets, not by themselves. No reason it would not work with care as long as the surfaces mated properly.

Comment

i've had good luck with using orange and black RTV with gaskets in the past. i think you could try a light bead of RTV around the part, and MAKE SURE you let it cure the 24 hours like it says. be sure to run your finger around the inside of the engine and get all the excess RTV off the inner part of it, before tightening down the top.

g'luck.

~Adam

Comment

Buy some gasket material at an agriculture parts place, comes in a piece about a meter square and for about $10 you can cut a lot of gaskets. I put a thin layer of grease on the part I want a gasket for, then place the edge on the material (get the grey fibre material, works better and lasts longer than cork) and I have the perfect outline to cut. Then you can use a thin (very thin) coat of RTV when you put it on.

Comment

Did the RTV thing yesterday, the instructions said put the parts together immediately, THEN let cure for 24hrs.

So I did.

Firing up the motor tonight (quick run up, set idle, and check for leaks. Some drips from the oilpan, but that's all), no oil was oozing from the valve cover, so I think I'm good there...

- Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X