fillin up the forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fillin up the forks

how does one go about filling the forks?

I currently have them stripped down with the intent to replace the seals and dust boots......I know how much fluid I need, but how do I fill it? Can I just dump it in and then slide the fork tube in, but then won't that create a big air bubble?

Any Input Much Appreciated!
    (i want to go riding tonight - hopefully speaking)

Thanks,
    Al Conforti

Re: fillin up the forks

Al, just assemble the forks, install them on the bike. Assuming you have already drained all the old oil out and the drain plugs are in the forks, unscrew the fork caps and slowly pour the measured amount into the top of the tube. Put the fork cap back on.

Earl

Originally posted by granny_rocket
    how does one go about filling the forks?

I currently have them stripped down with the intent to replace the seals and dust boots......I know how much fluid I need, but how do I fill it? Can I just dump it in and then slide the fork tube in, but then won't that create a big air bubble?

Any Input Much Appreciated!
    (i want to go riding tonight - hopefully speaking)

Thanks,
    Al Conforti
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

how do the caps come off?

the only thing up top is the schrader valve to fill the forks with air....nothing to get a wrench on, except around the valve....

thanks again,
      al

Comment

You might have the clip ring type.

You might have the clip ring type. You will have to push down on the cap to allow the clip ring to be pulled out. The cap will then pop out. Im not exactly sure as to how the clip comes out without damaging the forks in any way.

Comment

i now see how they come out and yeppers, its a god-damn clip ring! its not like an internal clip ring with tabs, but a ring and that's it! I've already bent the tip of the schrader valve, but its should still be functional!

Damn, who would have though changing seals would be THIS hard?

Thanks for any other input!

-Al

Comment

its not fun...i did it on my 550 last summer. i think i just guessed at filling the forks up...i probably should add a little to them, they seemed a bit squirly sometimes.

~Adam

Comment

On my 750, the fork tube caps have a square casting on top and the schrader valve is mounted in the top of the casting. To remove the fork tube caps, a wrench fits the square casting and you unscrew the fork caps. If your forks are flush and have nothing but a valve on top, I dont know.

Earl

how do the caps come off?

the only thing up top is the schrader valve to fill the forks with air....nothing to get a wrench on, except around the valve....

thanks again,
              al

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks everyone....being the "newer" model and the TSSC, I don't have what looks like the nice screw tops.

what were to happen if I filled the outer tube and then place the inner tube in it?

thanks again,
                -Al

Comment

I think your gonna have to pull the ring and cap.

I think you are gonna have to pull the ring and cap. Maybee you can remove the schrader valve and put the fluid in the hole. I would try that first. I know that ring will come out though. I pulled a pair of junk forks appart that way. You might need help holding things still while you push down on the cap to pull out the ring. Maybee it wont be hard since you already have the forks appart. The main thing holding preasure on the cap is the damper spring. I assume you already have that out.

As far as getting the fluid in. I have a hair salon bottle that is graduated in ML's and has a tube small enough to put fluid in small holes. Thats what I used to measure the fluid for mine.

Comment

I donk know why it would make any difference. I would try it.

Earl

Thanks everyone....being the "newer" model and the TSSC, I don't have what looks like the nice screw tops.

what were to happen if I filled the outer tube and then place the inner tube in it?

thanks again,
                    -Al

Comment

Working...
                    X