GS850 Air Fork Crossover tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Air Fork Crossover tube

Would like to install a connecting tube with a central refill valve on the 81 GS850. Has anyone either purchased a ready made unit or built their own.
    I feel this would make for easier 1 step checking & filling & also make the pressure adjustment less sensitive as the volume being pressurized would double.

And if the unit had an accurate built-in pressure guage it wouldn't hurt.
    \Thanks, 8O
    DH

you'd probably be best off trying to find one at the boneyard, or someone parting out a GS, measure the downtube diameters before you start looking

Comment

Progressive Suspension has a tee kit that installs over the existing shraeder valves with caps and a crossover line, o-rings and such. I paid around $25 but that's here in Canada. Be cheaper for you and yes it's alot less finiky to air up now.

Comment

I recently tried pumping up my fork tubes but found that they wouldn't take air. The manual doesn't show whether holes exist in the sides of the upper fork tubes for this purpose; I just assumed that they were there. Is this true?

Thanks,

Jeff

Comment

Is haveing a single valve better?

I found that with my progressive suspension pump I can get exactly the same preasure in both sides easy. Is it better to have a hose between the forks? It just seems like ugly hardware with no real benefit. I even wonder if the hose would allow presure to become uneven if one side was being compressed harder than the other. Say in a corner.

Comment

Re: Is haveing a single valve better?

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
            I found that with my progressive suspension pump I can get exactly the same preasure in both sides easy.
            I bought mine cheap on Ebay. You wouldn't have to worry about researching the crossover, or issues with leaks. I can adjust my air pressure in seconds with smaller than 1/4 psi repeatability.

Comment

Re: Is haveing a single valve better?

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
              I even wonder if the hose would allow presure to become uneven if one side was being compressed harder than the other. Say in a corner.
              if one side compresses harder in a corner, then there is a severe axle flex problem!! and the tire will rub on the inside of the fork!
              I have a cross over and it does make it alot simpler to air up, the only problem with them is if you blow a seal, you loose all your air, I have ran into this problem once, 50 miles from home, had to limp home with the front end down.

Comment

Crossover solution

Thanks for the replies. I see where Dennis Kirk or one of those outfits has it for $20.99 + S&H. Will give it a try soon as the other 100 projects get done, probably between fall & spring. Thanks again!
                DH

Comment

Re: Crossover solution

Originally posted by suzukizone
                  I see where Dennis Kirk or one of those outfits has it for $20.99 + S&H. Will give it a try...
                  10-4! I paid $12 plus $5 shipping for my NIB Progressive Suspension pump/gauge on Ebay.

Comment

I Just Preload...

After installing new Progressive fork springs, I followed the instructions to contruct preload spacers of the correct height. The instructions also stated that you should use spacers instead of pressurizing the forks.

This is also better for the fork seals, and avoids the problem of losing pressure and limping home.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                    X