Headgasket replacement and what else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headgasket replacement and what else?

My 850 has 70K on the clock and its getting time to change the headgasket. I plan on keeping the bike for many more years to come. I was wondering what other things i can do while the heads are off that would be mucho mas helpful to her increased longevity.
    Thanks

After having just done my head gasket I would recomend getting the valves checked and doing the sealsand seats. I also freshened the block with new rings and base gaskets as well.

Comment

I second that! You need to do it right the first time otherwise you will be doing it again possibly next year. Have the shop mike the cylinders if they are within tolerances hone the cylinders and install new rings. and have the head rebuilt, and you can go for another 70K miles

Comment

Thanks for the info you guys, A few more questions please
        how much?
        how long?
        how tough will this be?

Im a decent wrench, I can figure stuff out with the manual, friends and you guys. But ive never done any engine work before.

Comment

If the cylinders are ok I would figure $4-500, $1,000 if you have to rebore the cylinders and replace the pistons. Don't mess with the head. Take it to someone who has the proper equipment and can adj the valve shims. and have it rebuilt, I have found that trying to cut corners to save money doesn't work you end up spending more because you have to do the job twice. have them hone the cylinders also that way you know it will be right. When you have everything clean, CLEAN it again it can't be too clean. After the Cyl block has been honed, clean it with hot soapy water and a stiff brush, coat the cyl bores lightly with oil. Just remember Take your time. Pay attention to the piston ring install/ ring position called for in the book. You need two people to install the cyl block, install it over piston 2&3 first, you can use hose clamps to compress the rings to fit them into the bores. If you can take lots of pictures of it as you take it appart. go over the cam installation and the reference points for timing alignment before you take it apart. it can be confusing if you have never done it before. Remember it is not real
          difficult . After you have reassembled it turn it over by hand 1-2 revolutions. recheck the valve clearence. put the rest of it back together
          prime the carbs and it should fire right up. Time wise allow at least 3-4 weeks. It depends on how much time you can spend on it and the machine shop.

Comment

Working...
          X