Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She has a chain and I got a shaft

Ok i know i left this one wide open but,
    My girlfriend got a Maxim 550 recently with a chain drive. I have a 850 with the shaft drive. Ive never had to lube a chain. Ive talked to a buddy and he swears by chain wax, my mechanic says chain lube is best.
    Anybody got any tips?
    Should I put the bike on the center stand and spin the rear wheel while spraying? any particular spots to lube that arent obvious?
    Thanks

center stand it and rotate it while lubing.

you can use motor oil as the manuals suggest...or chain lube. be sure to let the chain lube set for a few minutes before riding.

i use silicon lubricant that turns to grease on mine usually.

~Adam

Comment

it helps if the chain is warm ,like just after a ride,it helps the grease, wax ,oil, penetrate 8) Mark

Comment

I prefer PJ1. Motor oil throws off too quickly, so unless you want to stop and oil your chain every 20 miles, I wouldnt bother with it. You want to get the lube between the side plates on the chain. Put the bike on the centerstand and rotate the rear wheel slowly by hand as you squirt a bead onto the top edge of the sideplates. Let it sit for about 20 mins to congeal into a greasy film.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! Im off to pick up some chain lube.

Comment

Working...
          X