No announcement yet.

Loud "Clack" - no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like the solenoid would make a "click".
    If it's an "Oh *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ what the *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ was that!" kind of CLACK. It's definitly the starter clutch. I know of what I speak . The starter clutch has three rollers that are pushed on by little spring loaded pistons. They keep the rollers in position inside the starter clutch. The rollers actually "grip" the nose of a large gear which is turned by the starter. So the starter turns the gear (via secondary gear), the nose on the gear wedges the rollers in the clutch housing, the clutch is bolted to the rotor/flywheel, the rotor is wedged on the crank.
    When the engine fires, the crank speeds up, and the starter motor stops, the rollers in the starter clutch just go along for the ride.
    The CLACK happens when the motor tries to turn backwards on startup. The rollers and the little spring loaded pistons that keep 'em snug are vilently dislodged and the little pistons try to "escape" through the side of the starter clutch housing. 8O You'll know this has happened if you see two or three pushed out dimples on the side/edge of your starter clutch. The dimples will appear right next to the three little holes on said edge.

Now the cause:
    1 Weak battery.
    2 High compression. Lots of carbon??
    3 Ignition timing too far advanced.
    4 Maybe "weak" starter motor.
    5 all of the above at once?
    If the problem is not addressed you could shear the bolts holding the starter clutch onto the rotor. You'll need the dreaded special tool to remove the rotor.

The service manager at a local shop actually let me borrow the tool. What a guy. But that's another long story.

Good luck but don't let it continue too long.

Comment

I recently had this problem with my GS1100efe, all three starter clutch bolts sheared allowing the clutch to spin. I assumed that the dimples were supposed to be there as I had not seen a new starter clutch. I replaced the bolts and refitted the clutch only for it to loosen off and shear the bolts a second time, this time the clutch obviously tipped slightly causing the three rollers to be jammed against the surface of the large starter gear, the rollers and the gear surface looked as though someone had taken an angle grinder to them! I have since replaced the complete starter clutch and gear assembly. One modification that should be made on assembly is to drip something like JB weld into the dowel hole in the starter clutch, you just need to take up about 2 - 3 mm so the dowel cannot end up flush with the surface of the starter clutch, allowing the clutch to twist and loosen of the three bolts.

Comment

Working...
      X