Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this milage/tank capacity sound correct

well folks..

i'm trying to get a good feel for the milage and tank capacity of my 82 GS650G..here's what i've found...

i'm getting about 40 miles to the gallon
    but the bike has need to be switched to reserve after 105, 110 (last 2 trips)

and when i fill it up i get in just under 3 gallons....

so.....how does the mpg sound (bearing in mind as a new rider i'm sure its getting a few to many revs when i engage 1st) (although i am getting better)

as to the tank size i thought i read that this tank is around 4.2 gallons ??
    not sure where i read that...

is there really a whole gallon in the reserve "tank"...

thanks for any info...

Phil

I consistantly get around 40 mpg on my bike and I have to switch to reserve at exactly that mileage as well, around 105 - 110 km(65 - 70 miles). My manual states I have a 12L tank(just over 3 gal US) and that the reserve is 4L (1gal).

I went out for a ride once with my tank nearly empty and my wife following in the van to see just how far I could go. It ended up about 180km or 112miles.

Mine is a GL and '81 so tank capacity may differ.

Comment

sorry...i should have said that the 105, 110 were miles (not kpm)

Comment

Big dif between G & L model tank IF you are getting 40 mpg that is good. I will get close to 40 with my GS850 when on trip. short trips and frequent use of the choke will kill the milage down to the low 30s

Comment

i'm pretty sure that the 40 mpg is correct..its a mix of conditions but mostly highway....

also i never seem to need the choke on my bike.....starts up and idles from cold with no problems.....although with this summer sat in my garage i don't think the bike is ever really cold. i'm sure it may change as the temps drop.

Comment

Mine is pretty much the same. I did get 45mpg for a couple tanks. Believe it or not, it was mostly city/country driving that gave me those mileages. If I ride strictly freeway, I get about 40.
            I hit reserve at 115-120 miles.
            Same bike as yours.

Comment

thanks for the info......i suspect that last 10 miles is related to how high i fill the bike up.

Comment

Working...
              X