Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81 GS750 burnt wire harness can I splice ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS750 burnt wire harness can I splice ???

I have a 81 GS750 with a melted wiring harness, I got a used one of EBAY, but the large plug that the left hand controls plug into has a few melted wires and the plug has some melting.

Can I splice the plug off my old harness which has a good plug onto the harness that has the bad plug with out worring about a fire ?

Thanks,
    J

sure you can if you do a good job soldering the splices and insulating them

Comment

You sure can....And don't be scared of using crimp connectors also. They work every bit as good as solder if used properly. Many people in the auto electronics world would tell you to crimp it any way. Its easy to crimp, its not so easy to solder...... If you don't have experience with a soldering iron it can be pretty tricky to get a good joint. You could end up with a cold solder joint and melt your harness all over again. BTW, I solder ALOT at work and am pretty good at it, but I still use crimp connectors because they're so easy.......

Comment

I am good at soldering. I have never had good luck with crimp connectors. I think soldering is much better and more reliable. No offense meant to HiSPL, just my experience. If you do solder, use shrink tubing to cover the joints aftwards.

Terry

Comment

Well. I have NEVER soldered, I have used crimp connectors a lot in auto wiring in dash and under hood. So since I dont know how to solder I was thinking about using crimp connectoors and using shrink tubing over the crimps. Plus, this is going to be a temp fix untill I find a good harness.

This plug has 11 wires in it so its going to be a pain no matter what.

Soldering and welding are the two things I have never done. I can restore a auto or even a bike I guess now from the ground up as long as I dont have to solder or weld

Thanks,
          J

Comment

If you do decide to crimp, use an antioxidant grease or dielectric in the barrel ends to prevent oxidizing

Comment

No need for anything special if you use these........

Comment

I would stay with the repair job, it is a better connection. You can always go to a regular harness if conditions demand it. Use a good sturdy crimp tool and test your conections and everything should turn on and light up .

Comment

Working...
                X