Compression Test Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compression Test Question

Do you not have to disconnect the gas when doing a compression test? I know you're supposed to do it with the throttle full open, but won't gas start shooting out the cylinders with the plugs out?

Sorry if it's a dumb question. I'm going to be doing a compression test for the first time this week.

No problem.Just keep the throttle WO and no fuel will come out.The air/fuel mix is a vapor.If you want to just pinch off the fuel line where it comes out of the tank.

Comment

What is the purpose of opening the throttle?
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

With the throttle closed there is almost no air being pulled into the cylinder thus nothing to compress.

Comment

Ah! Makes sense! The compression tester I just bought had instructions telling me to unplug the ignition leads as well as pull the plugs. Seems redundant to me, am I missing something? Also, do I keep the plugs in the other cylinders that I am not testing, or pull 'em all out together?
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Pull all the plugs.

Comment

Working...
            X