Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS550 questions

A couple of questions:

I need to replace the spark plug wires and in looking at the bike it appears that the coils and ignition wires are one unit, is this the case or may the plug wires be replaced without replacing the coils? Also, where is the best (economical) place to get these parts?

2nd question. I pulled my tank off last night and there is a hose coming off the fuel gauge sending unit that was not attached to anything. Is this a vent line?

Thanks guys

curt

The sending unit hose is not connected to anything. It is there for overflow in case the sending unit leaks. It is possible to change the wires if you are handy with a soldering iron. Look for wire at Cycle shop or HD repair shop. Automotive stores will not have the solid core wire needed to repair the coils

Comment

The wires are just glued into the coils and can be gotten out. As Lynn stated, use wire core plug wire to replace your old wires. They can be siliconed in placed. Go the the tips and tricks section for a post on "Replacement Coils".

Comment

more gs550 questions

I started to drain my tank to prep it for cleaning and paint. I'm having trouble getting the last remaining gas out. With the gas on it drained down to the reserve level as it should but when switched to reserve it would not drain the rest of the way. I'm assuming the petcock portion for the reserve is clogged, what is the best way to remedy this?

thanks again

Comment

the petcock works on a vaccume...switch the petcock to PRI and it will drain out.

Comment

Working...
          X