maybe a stupid question, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe a stupid question, but...

my bike is a 81 GS650L. i keep seeing parts on ebay and other places for an 81 GS650GL.

does anyone know the differences between these two models or if they are basically the same?

thanks

The GL is a shaft driven bike whereas yours (if simply an "L" model) is a chain driven model. Some parts will interchange, but you have to do your homework on them. Obviously transmission and drivetrain parts will not interchange, but stuff like seats, brakes, body parts, etc. may work for you.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

If someone can prove otherwise, I'll eat these words but....

The only chain driven GS650 is the E model, a standard. Both the G and (G)L were shaft drive. On some bikes, it'll say 650L, on others it'll say 650GL. They're the same.

Comment

thanks jeckler --- that's kinda what i was hoping to hear because i know my bike is shaft driven and the one side cover left says "GS650L".

Comment

In the model imformation section of this site, the 650 L and the 650 GL are listed seperately. But I never remember seeing a 650 L with a chain

Comment

Yeah, I was only going by the model information found here.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
            X