Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have anyone seen this before?

(1980 GS750E bike)
    Have you guys/gals observed this before?. When the engine is hot (like after riding for 20 minutes in a summer day), if I turn the engine off and then try to turn it back on, the battery doesn't have enough energy to start the engine again. It just sounds like a low battery. However, when the engine cools down just a bit (letting it rest for like 15 minutes), the battery doesn't sound low anymore and it turns the engine easily and immediately!.
    The first time this happened I was convinced I had a dead battery. It could be that it just died out of old age; or that the generator (or equivalent device) in my bike wasn't doing its job anymore. But when I came back to the bike (after making some calls trying to arrange a rescue) it turned back on like nothing happened...
    Today morning (I didn't use the bike during this past weekend) the engine started without incidents and the battery sounded like a fully charged one. So after I arrived here for work (a 20 minute ride from home), I tried to turn the engine back on right away... and as I suspected: the battery sounded like a dying one, without enough energy to turn the engine on again. By noon however, I when out to the bike and it turned on perfectly...
    Has anybody here observed a similar behavior?.
    I haven't entirely discarded the low battery theory yet; or the possibility that the re-charging system can be defective. However what confuses me it the relationship this behavior has with the engine temperature... and then I think that it could be something completely different, something beyond my basic knowledge; or maybe some particularity of the GS bikes with a solution known to some of you?.
    The bike is a 1980 GS750E, and it has been working flawlessly since I got it in May. The worst of summer is gone now and the days are significantly cooler which throws another variable to my theory about engine temperature...
    I would appreciate ANY sort of help, advice or ideas.
    Thank you and salud,
    Oscarin

It's probably a hot starter, not the battery. As the windings heat up, the resistance associated with the windings increases also. Higher winding resistances = lower current = less torque output on the starter = motor turns over slower.

Comment

I baught a bike once that was doing the exact same as you described. I took the starter to a starter repair place & found no problem with it. I then installed a new battery, same size as the one in the bike. Same problem. By chance I read something that said my bike used a 14LA2, I remembered I had baught a 12LA2. The previous owner had put in the wrong battery, and I followed him by doing the same thing. The leingth & width are the same, only the height is different, by about 1 in. Installed the 14LA2 and never had another problem with it

Comment

Hot engines need more power to turn over than cold ones. A marginal battery will start a cold motor but have trouble with a hot motor. I would bet it's the battery that needs replaced.

Comment

Also, check the brushes and armature in the starter. If they are somewhat dirty they will impede full current to the starter. When it's hot this will be even more of a factor because the resistance is greater (as stated before). After I cleaned mine the starter turned the motor over with much much more force.

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you guys!!. I am so glad to be part of this group. Now I have plenty to try and test. Thanks to your ideas and experience I now have several paths and options to test instead of being in the dark guessing forever, and finally giving up and taking the bike to the shop ending up paying; when most likely I can fix it myself! (and with the experience, I will be able to help others; just like you helped me)
            Again, thank you very much!.
            Salud for all of you!
            Oscar

Comment

Working...
            X