fuel forced out of vent hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel forced out of vent hose

I have a problem that just popped up. My charging system isn't working properly (have not yet had the time to perform tests on it), so when the battery starts getting low I can kick start the bike when their is not enough power to use the switch, especially when the bike is already warm. Well the last couple of times that I have had to kick start it, sometime during the process fuel is forced, not just draining, out of the number 2 carb vent hose. My petcock does work properly (just like a pingle), and my bike will still start, although with difficulty. Also, no fuel seems to have gotten into the case. It has only done it twice, so I can't be sure of how everything is when it does it. I believe the choke was off, but it was on at times trying to get the bike started. Also, I think it occurs almost immediately after I release the kick start lever. I figure it squirts at least as much fuel out as would be in the carb bowl, maybe more.

Any ideas,
    Billy Miles

Sorry that I don't have an answer, but I do have a question for you. I just posted a feul leak problem and everyone said to check the petcock.
    I have taken it apart but don't know how to tell if it's working well or not. I, by the way, leaked all of my gas out after turning it off, it came out of an air hose and an overflow hose from the tank.

Thanks and good luck

Albert

Comment

You do not say what bike you have so I will assume you have a GS. I had a similar problem when I first got my bike. Your petcock is vacuum operated, so the best way to test it is to just disconnect the hose that feeds the carbs. Then with the petcock in the run or on position no fuel should flow from the petcock. Fuel should only flow from the petcock when the bike is running, so vacuum from the engine can operate the diaphragm in the petcock. In the prime position, fuel should flow freely form the petcock whether the engine is running or not.

However, if you already have the petcock disassembled then check for holes in the diaphragm. Otherwise I don't know of any other way to test it.

Comment

Re: fuel forced out of vent hose

Originally posted by 78gs550
        I have a problem that just popped up. My charging system isn't working properly (have not yet had the time to perform tests on it), so when the battery starts getting low I can kick start the bike when their is not enough power to use the switch, especially when the bike is already warm. Well the last couple of times that I have had to kick start it, sometime during the process fuel is forced, not just draining, out of the number 2 carb vent hose. My petcock does work properly (just like a pingle), and my bike will still start, although with difficulty. Also, no fuel seems to have gotten into the case. It has only done it twice, so I can't be sure of how everything is when it does it. I believe the choke was off, but it was on at times trying to get the bike started. Also, I think it occurs almost immediately after I release the kick start lever. I figure it squirts at least as much fuel out as would be in the carb bowl, maybe more.

Any ideas,
        Billy Miles
        Are you talking about the floatbowl VENT tube that is mounted up on the left side of #2, or the floatbowl OVERFLOW tube that is a smaller tube connected under the bowl? If it's the OVERFLOW tube, then you most likely have some dirt on the float needle valve or it's sticking or worn. You may also need to adjust the float height.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I'm sorry. I mean the overflow tube.

Comment

Bouncing the bike by kickstarting or moving the forks up and down can also bounce the floats up and down, resulting in some temporary overflow. You may have some dirt on the tip of the needle valve(s), or one or more of your needle valves may be getting worn or have a weak spring and not sealing well. You also may have to adjust your float height(s).
            If it keeps leaking and you need to inspect, try to determine which carb bowl is overflowing. Each one should have a tube, so run them where you can see which one(s) is spilling. First look for dirt on the valve tip or seat. Clean the brass seat and inspect the valve for any small burrs that would stop it from sealing. Also check the tips for "grooving". Check the spring to see if it feels OK. These valves can leak even with little noticable wear. If cleaning or replacing does'nt stop the leaking, then you will need to adjust float height(s).
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
            X