Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Straight Wire versus Wiring Harness ( please advise)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straight Wire versus Wiring Harness ( please advise)

I am in need of a wiring harness of somekind. I have a 1977 Suzuki GS 750. There was a short somewhere in the old wiring harness and caused it to melt. My question is can I straight wire the bike or is the wiring harness a have to have item...

Thanks for your help...

As long as you rewire everything right then you can build your own.

Comment

Mine isn't really a harness at all. Harness would indicate something contained. It's more like a spider web. Or a black hole!
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Build it, and they (the electrons) will come.

Comment

Build your own if time is less important than money, (usually the case for me). However, make sure to at least use good quality heat-shrinkable butt connectors, or solder and heat shrink tube all connections. Cheap connectors will bite you big time.

Comment

And make sure you use wire that has the right kind of insulation on it.
            Some insulation might feel good when it's new, but after being exposed to heat and other engine conditions, it will become brittle because it was'nt made for these conditions. Some insulations have too much plastic properties, like some electronics wire.
            When I repaired some wires on my bike, I was told to use "primary" wire.
            I used to think as long as the wire was stranded copper and the right size, you could use it.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

As Billy said....do it yourself, but do it right.

If you have melted wires, you need to know why you have melted wires, and remove the cause.

The problem may have been a short, with a wire rubbed bare against metal, and causing meltdown in the immediate area, but it could also be remote, with the excessive heat caused by drawing too much current through a poor connection in the harness.

I just rebuilt my GK fuse-box, as it had melted at the main fuse. Cause was VERY dirty internal connections that caused impedance on the main fuse . Normal functions existed everywhere else, so there was no excessive current draw to blow the fuse, but the additional impedance caused enough heat to melt the box and one side of the fuse.

Melted wires in the harness is a very strong warning of fire to follow. I would take the time to check and clean EVERY connection on the bike, and replace wires where necessary.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

As Ron stated, while you're rebuilding the harness check out the entire electrical system. Do away with as many connectors as possible and still have the convenience you need.

Comment

Working...
                X