Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forks bottoming out

Hi guys,some help please
    I've recently rebuilt the forks on my 83 GSX750ESD. The forks are actually off a Katana of the same year(different anti-dive).
    The problem is that they are bottoming out under hard braking when going over bumps in the road.
    How can I stiffen them up.
    I did the rebuild in accordance with the factory manual but it seems just too soft.
    Thanks
    Al

DID YOU USE THE ORIGINAL SPRINGS??

Comment

Yes,spring length was within limits.

Comment

AL
        IHAVE NEVER DONE IT I JUST INSTALLED PROGRESSIVE SPRINGS BUT--THERE ARE 3 SPACERS WITH WITH PROGRESSIVE KIT -THIS LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN CHANGE THE LENGTH OF THE STOCK SPACER AND GET BETTER SPRING TESION--MY FAVORITE WRENCH TOLD ME ONCE THAT THEY USED WHAT LOOKED LIKE A PIECE OF PVC PIPE AS A SPACER AND THE TENSION COULD BE INCREASED BY USING A LONGER PIECE OF PVC THAT
        WAS ABOUT THE SAME DIAMETER--ALSO, I HAVE SEEN THIS DISCUSSION A FEW TIMES BEFORE ON THIS WEBSITE AND I AM QUITE SURE THAT OTHERS HAVE ACTUALLY DONE IT --I JUST DONT REMEMBER WHO IT WAS

Comment

Fork oil -- quantity and quality

Make sure you have the correct amount of fork oil in each. My mechanic uses 20-weight motorcycle-specific fork oil (BelRay brand) exclusively. I recently had him install new seals and fresh oil, and they work great.

Air pressure. Follow Suzuki's recommendations for air pressure, and make sure this is equal in both forks.

Nick

Comment

Thanks guys,I'll try what you've both suggested.

What a great site this is !!

Comment

can i install air fittings for my forks on a 78 750 that has none?

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
                RICK
                My brither installed some aftermarket thing on his Kaw that went on top of the fork tubes but it came from a bone yard---BTW why do you want to do that??

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
                  Rick, there used to be kits out there to do that, but I have not see one in years. Air is a great "spring" because it is progressive in its' compression, meaning the more you compress it the harder it becomes to compress which is what you want. The kit (if you can find one) is the way to go. Most have an air tube that balances the air in both fork tubes.

Hap

Comment

dom

im just getting ideas together when i rebuild my forks, with front brakes on i think the fender is hittin the headlight it dives so bad 8O

Comment

Working...
                    X