GS450 Carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 Carb question

I'm having problems with one of my carbs on my '83 GS450L. The right exhaust is just warm, not hot like the left... the spark is good. At idle if I adjust the air/fuel mixture scew while running, on the left carb there is a noticeable difference in idling performance. When I adjust the screw on the right carb, there is no discernable difference. The plug is dry. My assumption is that there is very little fuel being delivered when idling by this one carb.

I took the carb apart and examined the pilot jet. The pilot jet has one very tiny hole running the length of the jet. On the carb series pictures the pilot jet has several holes perpendicular to the length of the jet. I am wondering if I have the correct pilot jet in my carb. Anyone know what this pilot jet should look like?

This is a description of where the jet is. Hope it helps.

Comment

pilot jet

Yeah that's the pilot jet all right, and that's the one I am asking about. The one off of my carb has one hole running the length. Pictures show holes perpendicular to the length.

A picture can be seen here:

But mine does not have those holes, just one lengthwise. I am wondering if I have the right pilot jet in my carb.

Comment

carb problem

Originally posted by canroc
        I'm having problems with one of my carbs on my '83 GS450L. The right exhaust is just warm, not hot like the left... the spark is good. At idle if I adjust the air/fuel mixture scew while running, on the left carb there is a noticeable difference in idling performance. When I adjust the screw on the right carb, there is no discernable difference. The plug is dry. My assumption is that there is very little fuel being delivered when idling by this one carb.
        I just thought of something. I ran my bike with a portable tank that I made up when I tested this. The vacuum line that normally goes to the petcock was left unplugged. This vacuum line runs from the the carb that does not seem to be running right. That vacuum line should probably be plugged otherwise I'm guessing that there will be insufficient vacuum in the carb to draw the fuel. I'll try plugging it up tonight and see how it goes.

Comment

My GS450L pilot jet doesn't have those perpendicular holes.
          The lack of fuel flow may very well be due to the main jet being partially obstructed. My bike would not run right till I ran a wire through (scraped out the hole) the main jets. Spraying tons of carb cleaner just didn't fully clear those jets.
          Also, you could check the pilot jet on the carb that IS running well to see if it's the same. On the GS450 the pilot jet is screwed into the float bowl, so you should be able to do all this without actually removing the carbs, but I'd recommend a thorough carb cleaning anyway.

Comment

I just thought of something. I ran my bike with a portable tank that I made up when I tested this. The vacuum line that normally goes to the petcock was left unplugged. This vacuum line runs from the the carb that does not seem to be running right. That vacuum line should probably be plugged otherwise I'm guessing that there will be insufficient vacuum in the carb to draw the fuel.
            Yes, that will definitely affect the fuel flow into that carb.

Comment

carbs gs450

Originally posted by nabrams
              I just thought of something. I ran my bike with a portable tank that I made up when I tested this. The vacuum line that normally goes to the petcock was left unplugged. This vacuum line runs from the the carb that does not seem to be running right. That vacuum line should probably be plugged otherwise I'm guessing that there will be insufficient vacuum in the carb to draw the fuel.
              Yes, that will definitely affect the fuel flow into that carb.
              I plugged the vacuum line and although there was some difference, the bike is still not running correctly. The right exhaust is not getting hot. I guess I'm going to have to do a thorough cleaning of the carbs.

Comment

Working...
              X